• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Facebook Question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm trying out the Facebook thing.

I am already using Google Plus and am VERY pleased with the results.

Maybe I thought Facebook would be the same thing, but after about 3 weeks I haven't gotten anywhere with Facebook.

One thing I've noticed is I can't post or comment as my Web Site page. The bar at the top says I'm posting as my page, but when I do, it asks for a phone number to verify my account.

Seriously? My Phone Number?

Is there some way around around this? I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I have to give my phone number to Facebook.

Anyway, is there something else I can do (that doesn't involve paying Facebook) to promote my page?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

Simple, if you want to post .... you have  to verify who you are, that is the choice of Facebooks's operators.

But of course you don't have to if you do not want to, and that is your choice.

#3 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

But why use a phone number? Google doesn't. Phone numbers are extremely personal and can be abused if it falls into the wrong hands. There is a reason people are reluctant to give them out.

And why would I not want to post as me?

And think about it.....

If I am posting as someone else, is a phone number really going to stop me? What? FaceBook is going to pull out a big phone book and check?

No, I don't have to if I don't want to.

But I'd really like to be able to give my site the benefit of a presence on Facebook.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,729 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

It is because phone numbers ARE personal!

Only YOU are going to answer YOUR phone or respond to a text message sent to YOUR phone.

But I'd really like to be able to give my site the benefit of a presence on Facebook.

What makes you think it will be a 'benefit'?

Oh and actually, Google DO send verification codes to your phone number when confirmation of your identity is required.

As do Amazon, PayPal and eBay.

#5 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

It is because phone numbers ARE personal!

Only YOU are going to answer YOUR phone or respond to a text message sent to YOUR phone.

What makes you think it will be a 'benefit'?

Oh and actually, Google DO send verification codes to your phone number when confirmation of your identity is required.

As do Amazon, PayPal and eBay.

I have never given my phone number to Google. I uploaded a file via FTP and my site was verified that way.

Amazon, Paypal and Ebay are about finacial tranactions. Proving I'm the owner of a website is far from a financial tranaction.

And yes I'm going to answer MY phone, but what's to keep someone from claiming MY site and giving THEIR number?

Do YOU think that FaceBook is a benefit?

I'm no SEO expert, but that's why I'm posting questions on this forum in the first place!. In the little bit I do understand about SEO, having a social media presense is advantageous or do you disagree?

Look, all I'm saying is I don't trust Facebook enough to give them my personal phone number and I want to know if it's absolutely neccessary.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Look, all I'm saying is I don't trust Facebook enough to give them my personal phone number and I want to know if it's absolutely neccessary.

If they won't let you do what you want to do there without providing the phone number, and you really want to do whatever it is, then yes, it's of course necessary to comply with whatever rules they have. 

#7 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

If there's no way around it, there's no way around it.

Let me ask you this then.

After chrishirst's comment, should I even worrying about Facebook. Like I said earlier, I am really pleased with Google+. My site has received a fair amount of exposure. Can I expect the same from FaceBook?

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,581 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

That would depend on:

1. Whether your target audience is using Facebook
  2. Whether you're any good at marketing via Facebook

Every platform is different, not just in the mechanics of how it works, but also in the demographics and expectations of the people who frequent that network. Your success on one has no bearing on your ability to be successful on another.

The only way to find out for sure is to try it and see.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,729 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

I have never given my phone number to Google. I uploaded a file via FTP and my site was verified that way.

That is only to verify that you have access to that website. it is NOT verifying that you are who you say you are.

And yes I'm going to answer MY phone, but what's to keep someone from claiming MY site and giving THEIR number?

Because FaceBook already HAVE a phone number for you in your profile OTHERWISE their system would have required a different method of proving that YOU are then person who is requesting changes to your profile!!!!

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

My site has received a fair amount of exposure. Can I expect the same from FaceBook?

If it does well on Google+ it's likely to do 100 times better on facebook.

#11 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

The only way to find out for sure is to try it and see.

--Torka :oldfogey:

If it does well on Google+ it's likely to do 100 times better on facebook.

And I do want to give Facebook a try.

It may just be because I haven't done much with it, but so far it's very different from Google+. It seem like the whole purpose of the two are different, or maybe it's just what I have experienced so far.

After I kinda figured out Google out, I just find it so easy to use. Literally, within hours after creating my website's page I had followers and pluses. But after about a month of Facebook, nothing.

Of course, being able to post as my page is making all the difference.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

After I kinda figured out Google out, I just find it so easy to use. Literally, within hours after creating my website's page I had followers and pluses. 

How did you manage that? It's fairly dead over there, imo.

#13 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

How did you manage that? It's fairly dead over there, imo.

Google+ dead? Well it's not as busy as Facebook I'd bet, but I'm enjoying it.

One thing that I think lends to Facebook's "busy-ness" is it's Narcissistic structure. From what little I've seen, it's entirely "Me" focused.
"Let me tell you what I did/am doing/am going to do" or "Here are pictures of me doing whatever".

And maybe I just haven't experienced enough yet. Like I said, I've only been messing with it a couple of weeks. But I have about 25 friends, mostly family, a few of my kids friends. And I bet 75%-80% of the messages in my newsfeed comes from about 3 people who post basically the same things over and over and over. I just haven't seen the "Me" on Google+ to that degree.

But enough of that.

What, in your opinion, makes Facebook better than Google+? The amount of activity? How will Facebook help my site SEO wise?

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,729 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:58 AM

From what little I've seen, it's entirely "Me" focused.

Well ....errmm;  Yes it would be. That is the raison d'etre of Facebook, it is there for PEOPLE to communicate with other PEOPLE and tell them about THEMSELVE'S. (ie; Social interaction)

It is absolutely nothing at all to do with SEO, YOU (the person)  may  communicate with other people, either individually or collectively ( ie; a Social group) and tell them about your business IF THEY ARE INTERESTED in that aspect of your PERSONAL life.

Facebook IS essentially a personal 'profile' the fact that they have little or no measure that prevent it being thoroughly abused by so-called SEOs and marketers is purely coincidental.

Google+ will not let you create a full profile if their username analysis algorithm considers the name you intend to use is one for a commercial purpose rather than personal use. So if your surname actually is "Support" don't bother with Google+ :)

To create a business profile rather than a personal profile you have to use this  http://www.google.com/+/business/ instead.

Google may just have the right idea, which could well mean that they may outlive Facebook.  By keeping personal and business operations separate, they avoid the trap that could make the personal aspect of Google Plus unusable because of the marketers abusing it.

I use Facebook to 'talk' to real friends and family who are spread far and wide and these are people that I actually do know, some are ones I have not met in person but am happy to class them as 'friends'. It's the 21st Century equivalent of a 'pen-pal'.

If your business has a 'social' aspect ie; something that MANY people share a common interest in,  then Facebook could be very useful as a tool for keeping in touch and getting YOUR expertise and interests known more widely (promotion not 'optimising'), simply because people who are 'into' [whatever] know other people who are 'into' the same things and will tell them about a new source of products or information.

If your business is 'B2B' orientated then your FaceBook attempt  will most likely be a complete flop because it is simply not interesting enough for facebook users to recommend to their 'friends'

Rule 101 of  the Ferengi rules of aquisition;

Know how your interested your buyers will be in the item before you aquire it.

So to apply that to 'social' sites:

There is no profit in telling people about your products or service if they are not really intereted in finding it on Facebook.

REAL people go to car boot sales (or eBay) hoping to find a bargain.

REAL people go to Facebook to 'kill time' or talk to friends, they do NOT go there looking for a tax accountant, legal advice or to buy a used car.

#15 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

I think your right Chris. I had always heard that Google+ was Google's answer to Facebook, but I can see now they are 2 very different animals.

But I still plan on taking a shot at Facebook. The topic of my website is very active on Facebook so once I figure it out, I'm sure I can get something out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!