• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Anchor Text? Loosing Rankings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Codered

Codered

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hey everyone, I hope I posted in the correct forum.

So I have noticed my traffic is declining and I am loosing rankings.  Just a little info about my site, I started it in 2006, its about sneakers.

I noticed some sites that look like spam sites are linking to certain pages of my website using anchor text like "Online Slot Machines". Not sure why they are doing it.  I am not sure if this is even the root of my problem but amongst speeding up the website and finally being able to use the Yoast SEO plugin (was on an older version of thesis) but traffic nor rankings have gone up, in fact certain keywords I was ranking for have dropped.

So I guess I am asking is, if someone links to your site from a website with a bunch of links, using anchor text that has nothing to do with my website or the specific article, can it hurt rankings?

All help is greatly appreciate. Thanks for taking the time out to read.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

So I guess I am asking is, if someone links to your site from a website with a bunch of links, using anchor text that has nothing to do with my website or the specific article, can it hurt rankings?

CAN it hurt rankings?  In some cases, maybe.  In most cases it won't matter.

There are many possible explanations for lost traffic.  You have work your through the list and figure out what happened.  Here are a few suggestions but this is by no means a definitive list.

• Have you recently redesigned the Website?

• Have removed content from the site that might have been deep-linking into the site?

• Have you begun using "rel='nofollow'" on any internal links?

• Have you been relying on guest posting for links?  (If yes, your guest posts may no longer be helping you.)

• Have you done anything else that might violate Google's guidelines?  (If yes, try to undo that.)

• Were you targeting queries that are no longer favored by users (check with trends.google.com)?

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

I assume you've verified the traffic loss is coming from organic search and not from some other source? And that you're still targeting the correct keywords for your chosen audience?

For instance, if it's primarily referral traffic that's declined, there might be some kind of issue with one or more inbound links that were sending you traffic, and it might have little to do with any apparent ranking fluctuations. Say, a niche industry directory that was sending you visitors regularly goes out of businesses. Or a referring site gets penalized by Google for some reason. Or they redesign their site and don't do a proper job of it. Or they simply move your link to a less-prominent location.

And to expand on Michael's last point: if the traffic decline is across the board, it might mean people simply aren't as interested in what you offer as they once were, or that they're using new/different keywords to search for it now. An example of this: a few years ago, the company I work for tried to run AdWords using "cloud based product category" as a keyword... and Adwords wouldn't let us, because it said the search volume was too low. Now, that's one of the primary terms people are using when searching for what we offer. Back then, nobody outside the IT department knew what "the cloud" was (and not even all of them did). Now many people are familiar with the term. Meanwhile, traffic for some of the terms we were using a few years back has declined. If we weren't paying attention, we might not have updated our site to capture the new keyword traffic... and we might be looking at a traffic loss.

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 03 April 2014 - 08:52 AM.
typo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!