• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Will Same Site Design Cause Duplicate Content Issue?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diannalp

diannalp

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hi there,

I am helping my dad build a website for his dental practice and we are using wordpress.

We are writing each content page from scratch trying to put a little bit of voice into a topic that is really quite dry and encyclopedic. We are not done yet, but the site is up.

My dad is however unhappy with the way the site looks. I don't blame him – it looks totally homemade.

We found this beautiful wordpress theme on another dentist's website. She lives 300 miles away, so we are not serving the same geographic areas.

I want to install the theme on our site, but I was concerned that this would cause duplicate content issues. Our content overlaps with her content to the extent that we cover the same topics – we are both general dentistry websites.

And our sites are also organized in a very similar way. Because we provide nearly identical services, there is really only one logical way to organize the content into categories: general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, and children's dentistry. Each category has sub-topics.

Would having the same design template make our sites too similar? Does the design of the site affect duplicate content issues?

As I said, we are writing each of our pages from scratch trying to put a little bit of voice into each topic.. Would have the same site design be one step too far?

This is the dentist's site that we like REMOVED

This is the wordpress theme that the design is based off of REMOVED

our site now REMOVED

Edited by chrishirst, 30 March 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Would having the same design template make our sites too similar? Does the design of the site affect duplicate content issues?

How can it do anything else?

Nope, duplicate content causes duplicate content issues

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

A million Websites can use the same theme and the search engines are fine with that.  Many themes allow you to customize their look by adding your own images and changing the color settings, etc.

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Personally I would go with a different them. In fact, I'd do as much as I reasonably could to differentiate your site from the other dentist's. This has got nothing to do with SEO.

You said that the two sites have similar content, they cover the same broad topics, and, given that you are using the same theme, they will now have a similar look and feel. At best, you risk confusing anyone who happens to visit both sites. You could also alienate the other dentist, and might even lose business as a result.

If you must use the same theme, at least customise it to make it look reasonably different from the other one. Also, look closely at your content. If parts of it are the same as on the other site - even if accidentally so - consider rewriting it - or even removing it and adding material on different topics. Again, this is nothing to do with SEO or duplicate content penalties. It's more about giving your site a unique voice, and making it stand out from the competition.

Mike

#5 matthecool

matthecool

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

Think of design as the bricks, pipes & walls of the house. 

Think of content as the inside of the house. Now is every house in the world the same on the inside?

• chrishirst likes this

#6 Brainchild

Brainchild

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

Millions of websites use the same website template. So that's not an issue. Only duplicate content is a big issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!