• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Question About Content, Or Specifically, Duplicate Content

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

One thing I've realized over the years that the worst thing thing I can do for my site is go extended periods of time without posting anything.

My site isn't my full-time job (it isn't even my part-time job) so finding time to research and publish new content can be quite a chore sometimes. In the past I've found myself re-posting articles, linking back to the original of course, just to have something new up.

Is this a good idea? Is posting duplicate content better than no content or does it even matter?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

One thing I've realized over the years that the worst thing thing I can do for my site is go extended periods of time without posting anything.

It isn't.

so finding time to research and publish new content can be quite a chore sometimes.

So don't do it. If you have something to write about, .... then, ... write about about it. If you haven't ........ then don't!

Is this a good idea? Is posting duplicate content better than no content or does it even matter?

No,  absolutely not and it depends on your  perspective.

#3 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

It isn't.

So yor saying that no activity on my site isn't as bad as I think?

It just seems that the longer I go without adding things consistently the worse my traffic and rankings get.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

If your site isn't

My site isn't my full-time job (it isn't even my part-time job)

Why does it matter?

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

So, you've got some decisions to make.

Adding duplicate content for the sake of just having "something" out there isn't going to help you in the long run. Look into the Panda updates from Google -- one of the things they don't want to see is duplicate content. The more of that you have, the more likely it becomes they're going to notice... and the more likely it becomes that you'll eventually get dinged.

(Beyond that, it's just not that interesting to your readers.)

So the first thing you've got to decide is why you have this website to start with. You say you don't even consider the site a part-time job, which sounds to me like you're not wanting to put all that much work into it. If that's the case, then maybe you should just stop worrying about it and let it die on its own. Find some other topic to write about that you find more interesting, or find some other hobby entirely. Not everyone has to have a website. :)

If you want to make something of it (or even maintain what it has now), you're going to have to put some work into it. You're going to have to make it into at least a part-time job. And that means coming up with unique, interesting, engaging new stuff to say.

If there truly is nothing new to say about the topic of your website, then I have to wonder why you thought it was worth creating a website on that topic in the first place? Even if your site is far-and-away the best resource ever on the topic today, it's bound to lose ground eventually as other, more enthusiastic webmasters come along and start creating terrific new content.

The other alternative is to find a good writer and pay them to create content for you. (And taking another look at the Panda updates, you'll see that crappy content isn't going to help you in the long run, either... so the operative term is: a GOOD writer. Really good writers aren't cheap.)

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#6 Philbeaux

Philbeaux

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

I think what I'm trying to stress is my lack of time to devote to my site.

The reason I mention the part-time job is because I have a part-time job in addition to my full-time job already.

Setting aside any time right now takes major effort on my part and I guess I'm just looking for a way to keep up with my site in an "expedient" way.

But I think I get what you are saying.

#7 Brainchild

Brainchild

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

If you don't want to put time into it, don't do it. Why do something when you don't have time for it, in the first place? If you really want to earn money from internet marketing, you need to put your time and effort into it. 

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!