• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Smart Titles For Recurring Posts

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'm looking to add a recurring article to my blog which will cover important weekly happenings in sports.  Let's say it will cover the "10 Most Important Events in the NFL" each week.  What would be the best way to configure titles for this type of recuring article?  Here are some ideas for an imaginary article:

1. "NFL Guy's Weekly Recap 4/1/14 - 4/8/14" - Adds an element of branding, but is very generic and probably won't show up for most search terms
  2. "DeSean Jackson Released - NFL Guy's Weekly Recap" - Highlights an important event and includes a branding term, but no date information means users won't be able to easily differentiate newer from older articles (does this even matter)?
  3. "DeSean Jackson Released, MJD Signs with Oakland, Matt Shaub Traded" - No branding at all, more search terms that would probably be relevant for that week.

Thanks.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

You should be thinking about creating a title that is easy for people to search for and find.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

I do a weekly "what I learned last week" post and pick a few of the interesting things I learned and use them for the Title tag. You can see it in action at my http://WhatDidYouDoWithJill.com website in the sidebar of recent posts.

#4 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

You should be thinking about creating a title that is easy for people to search for and find.

In what way?  Creating a title that is similiar every week (i.e. "NFL Guy's Top 10") or a title that people will be searching for on a particular week (i.e. "DeSean Jackson Released by the Eagles")?

I do a weekly "what I learned last week" post and pick a few of the interesting things I learned and use them for the Title tag. You can see it in action at my http://WhatDidYouDoWithJill.com website in the sidebar of recent posts.

Thanks Jill.  So it looks like you make every title completely unique, then if people like your content they'll bookmark you (versus going to a search engine and typing "What I learned last week".

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

I make them unique because people wouldn't be searching for "what i learned last week" but they might search for  "mind thought and consciousness" however.

That said, I don't generally expect those types of posts that have no real focus on one thing to be found by search, but might as well make it easier just in case.

Those posts are more conducive to social media marketing than SEO overall.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,673 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Assuming you're building the site using a CMS of some sort, you can give each post a unique title and just assign the same category to them all, so whatever title a post has, readers can find it under something like "Weekly NFL Updates" if they choose to.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,766 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

I would probably include some sort of basic branding at the end... "whatever unique title you want for that week - NFL Guy" (as a for-instance).

Qwerty's idea is excellent. Put all those posts in their own category. That way, people can also link to/bookmark your category page (which becomes an excellent overview of all the articles), and that also makes an additional page that the search engines can find and index and which can serve as an entry page for site visitors. Each article should be dated within the body of the article anyway, so at the category level and within the article they can see when the article was written without including it in the title.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Put all those posts in their own category. 

Yep. That's what I do as well. I have a category for "Things I've Learned" so that people can click on the category link if they're interested in looking at multiple weeks' worth of those posts.

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

A section title or an evergreen article title that is unique to your Website makes it easy for people to find your latest content.  If it is too similar to other sites' titles then you're kind of stuck for return search traffic.

So I would avoid generic-sounding titles like "NFL Guy's Top 10" and go for something like "Crazy Rob's Super NFL Treat".

• torka likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!