• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Best Extensions For The Us And The Uk?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Leonideals

Leonideals

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hi.

I currently have an online store in my country and I was thinking about "opening" new stores in other countries. I currently (and obviously) own the extension of my store's name for my own country, but it's not the most original name in the world, so the ".com", ."co.uk", ".ru" or ".de" extensions are already registered, and looking for other options I've found the ".us.com", ".uk.com", ".ru.com", "com.ru", ".de.com" and ".us" extensions, but I don't know if those extensions are any good or a fine alternative to the mentioned ".com"/".co.uk"/".ru"/".de" ones.

I also thought about registering ".com" omains with the name of my site plus a midbar an the coe for each country, something like this ("cocacola" is just an example, I'm not trying to register that XD):

"cocacola-us.com"

"cocacola-uk.com"

"cocacola-de.com"

"cocacola-ru.com"

Etc..

Which options would be the best? I'm not sure about how good are the ".countrycode.com" extensions for the UK the US, Germany or Russia, maybe it would be better to choose the "storename-countrycode.com" extensions, or the "us" one for the states, which is free, but I've read other threads (here and in other similar message boards) asking for the ".us" extensions and it seems that I would need to live in the United States, an I can't afford that and I'm fine in my own country. XD Also I've read that the ".com" extensions are always a better choice because people remembers it better, but the ".com" and ".co.uk" extensions are already registered as I said, however none of them is being currently used afaik, this is why I'm looking for alternatives instead of thinking about a different name, because it's a good one for my site/s, I already have the logo/designs and it's not being used by someone else in those other countries.

PS: The ".net" extension is also registered, the ".pro" isn't, but I think that something with a ".com" will always be better, even if it's not the "real" one, bit I'm not sure, need your help please.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Any of them,

All of them

None of them

Not necessarily in that order.

#3 Leonideals

Leonideals

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

That wasn't a very helpful answer, tbh. XDDD

I've read somewhere else that the ".uk.com" and ".us.com" extensions are just subdomains and not proper domains, so I'll choose the "-us.com" or "-uk.com" options, but I have another question, what is more commonly used: "company-us.com" or "company-usa.com"? I've seen both options, but if you had to choose one, which one would be? What would be better for searchers/seo? What oo americans prefer?

I know I can register just one, or both or none of them, but which one would you choose first? XD

Thanks again. :-)

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Same as previous answer: it doesn't matter. 

#5 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

Leonideals,

I think they are referring to the SEO aspect of choosing a domain.  While I have a similar question I'll post later, I think I understand yours.

As for SEO and what the search engines and bots/spiders will think of it, like they say, it doesn't matter. 

But your post is two-part, also asking what americans would think about looking at such a domain extension.  My personal opinion I prefer .com, .net and .org.  Other extensions that suggest out of the country don't appeal to me as much, unless it's just advice or digital info that I could buy.  Some of my apprehension stemmed from years ago when PayPal didn't offer as much security for purchases made to other countries through their services.  This could have changed by now.

I also suggest you don't have to be limited to getting a domain that has your store's exact name in it.  You can also have something entirely different as the domain  name, then have your store's name at the site once viewers get there.  If a .com or .net is what you prefer, I'm confident you could find something that will work.

Webseeker

#6 Hostzealot

Hostzealot

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

2 Leonideals:

You were given by Chrishirst an exact answer to your questions. Nearly every customer thinks .com is the most SEO-friendly extension - and they are wrong. SEO attraction has nothing in common with extension, many websites are popular with .net, .org, .biz, .info, .us, .com.au and other extensions. Website popularity depends only on its content, quality of services provided and intensity of promotion capaign. Any website name can be made popular, even fjgfjfjn.de - it will just take more time and money.

Webseeker also offered a great way to deal with the case - register another name, shorter and more sound, which is not taken yet. Promote it and have your store name on website page, not in the title.

I would also like to suggest you creating multilingual website content, loading appropriate content depending on visitor's IP (or giving a choice at once to select the most suitable language). This way you can pay for only 1 domain, instead of spending a ton of money yearly on renewals of not-so-useful-and-visited-extensions.

Good luck with your efforts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!