• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Online, But Only As Place Page. What To Do Next?

Best Answer qwerty , 21 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

If you want to make sure new prospective customers don't find the site before it's ready (and I agree with Chris that you probably don't need to do that), you can just keep search engine spiders out until you're ready. Create a robots.txt file and put

User-agent: *
Disallow: /
in it. Don't forget to update the file when you're ready for the site to be found, though. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

I have a site online now and it's pretty much empty.  The title reads <Index>.  I have 2 pictures... one is an image of text that welcomes people and to let them know the site is under construction and will be up soon.  The 2nd image is a button that is not hyperlinked to my email.  It's a button and only shows my email and phone number.

I do not see this site complete until 1 month from now.  I'd like to have it fully operational sooner, but I'm contemplating many aspects of what I want in the site, etc, so having it soon isn't much of an option.

I'm thinking of the ramifications of putting limited information on the site, but do not know what Google will think about it.  Once it's fully operational, I know several places the g-bot-spiders go daily and hourly, so my site will be found right away and hopefully indexed accordingly.

I can put all the information on the index page along with creating the proper title and all my info... like business name, address, phone number and a few paragraphs explaining the service with a few keywords in there as well.  My concern is what Google will think about this small page with no inbound links and limited information.  I wonder if there is a disadvantage to doing this.

The other option is to leave it "as is" until it's done.  I expect the site to have about 12 pages total when it's done.  It will be for a service business.  I wonder the differences and whether there are dis and advantages to going this route.

I'd like to put some quick information up so customers can get some info on what the business is about.

So to wrap this up... There are the options and I'm wondering which route is better and why.

Thanks for reading,

Webseeker

Edited by Webseeker, 20 March 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,102 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

It is a non-problem.

Just do what you need to do and let search engines do what they need to do.

I'd like to put some quick information up so customers can get some info on what the business is about.

So do that and forget about search engine, because when you start doing thing especially for search engines .... you WILL get it wrong!

• Webseeker likes this

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:30 PM   Best Answer

If you want to make sure new prospective customers don't find the site before it's ready (and I agree with Chris that you probably don't need to do that), you can just keep search engine spiders out until you're ready. Create a robots.txt file and put

User-agent: *
Disallow: /
in it. Don't forget to update the file when you're ready for the site to be found, though.
  • Jill and Webseeker like this

#4 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

Ok, thank you.  At first while typing my orig. post, I was paranoid.... kinda like putting in Disallow or Nofollow tags in my meta.  Scared a 'bot/spider may get my intentions wrong.. "Don't know what's up with him and his attitude, but I'm never coming back here again... Index This."  LOL!

And Chris, the ol' content is king, is a concept that hasn't gone wrong yet.

I don't know where my mind was either because not only was I thinking what will or will not be indexed from my site, I was worried that not having my pay buttons, email capture, videos and other images would not go in my favor, but I knew better.  Just wasn't thinkin'.

Thank you for the replies and I appreciate the help.  Feeling assured is an assuring feeling. LOL!

WebSeeker Robert

#5 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Best Answer?  How'd that happen?  I did click Question Resolved on all 3 replies, mine too.  In my profile messages it said that WebSeeker chose my answer as the best.  LOL!  I'm confident, but not conceited.  Not sure how that happened!  Regardless, thanks.

WebSeeker

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Death-by-Perfectionism is a marketer's worst enemy and most likely problem.  Waiting until you have everything ready is worse than getting something simple ready.  Simple but complete, of course.  First impressions are important.

If your goal is to become known as the largest supplier of shoes on the Web you don't have to launch with 100,000 different types of shoes.  You can sell just one, sell it well, and expand your inventory as your business grows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!