• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Content For Users Vs Content For Search Engines

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi,

I have always been told by this forum that creating and serving different content for the end user vs. what is provided to the search engine crawler was a big no-no and considered black hat.

However, I have come across this source code on a friends wesbite and so am a little confused.

<!--

IMPORTANT! LOOKING FOR THIS SITE'S SEO CONTENT?
    This site's SEO content, such as meta tags and headers, is not here.

This is because search engines, like Google, actually crawl the site's homepage via http://wwwxxxxx.co.uk/?_escaped_fragment_=
    Internal pages, like “About”, also have their own special search engine versions, for example: http://www.xxxxx.co.uk/?_escaped_fragment_=about%2Fc1enr

If you're looking for this site's SEO content, that's where you can view it.
    Want more information about Ajax page crawling? Read Google's explanation here: http://bit.ly/ajaxcrawling

-->

Has this SEO ethos changed and now we should all be using stealth mechanisms to serve different contet to the SE's vs the end user?

'Special search engine versions' sounds like a complete ethos and paradigm shift to me not to mention dodgy as hell!

Your advice is appreciated.

Regards,

1DMF

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Has this SEO ethos changed and now we should all be using stealth mechanisms to serve different contet to the SE's vs the end user?

No.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

And no again!

I wonder if Simon Cowell will chip in with a third no??? :)

• Jill likes this

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

How about if I chime in with the third "no," but say it with an English accent? :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Jill likes this

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I've seen those notes on those ultra-hip AJAXy sites where clicking a link gracefully scrolls you over to a different section of the page. In fact, someone in my company recently built one (without any input from me). I've checked Google's cached copy of the page, and it's some oddly positioned images with a few words scattered around.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

OK, thanks, I thought it didn't sound right, but as the entire SEO landscape has changed so much over the last year, I thought it best to check.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Nothing has really changed in SEO for almost twenty years, creating content for real users and promoting it to real users STILL yields the best results for the long term. The ONLY things that change are the short term use of tricks to get fake short term results. "Algo-chasing" as it was known last century, so if you never read the pseudo-scientific dross they publish at SEO Moz and treat your web properties as if search engines did not exist, your "SEO" will stay in good shape for EVER.
  • Jill likes this

#8 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Yes that was the point I was making when I say the SEO landscape has changed... I.E. there shouldn't be anything called SEO anymore, and was even quoted as one of the reason Jill has left the industry, her work is done!

I thought the landscape had changed so that SEO was not something you actively did or as you put it (Algo Chase), however, that comment in the code was claiming not only was SEO alive and kicking, but now you are expected to produce specifically SE orientated, SEO'd content.

P.S. hope you are enjoying your retirement Jill, thanks for all the awesome advice over the years!

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

There will always be search engine optimization but what most people have been labeling as "SEO" or search engine optimization for years never was.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

SEO needs to be repackaged into what it REALLY is and what it always has been, (or should have been when done properly) and take the "engine" out of the equation.

Site Experience Optimising

or

Search Experience: Optimal

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

there shouldn't be anything called SEO anymore, and was even quoted as one of the reason Jill has left the industry, her work is done!

I think you misunderstood my reasoning. I never say there was no need for SEO anymore. I said that my work was done because so many others were providing the same kind of SEO advice that I had been providing for years when nobody else was. (i.e., I used to be one of the only voices for making your site be the best it could be).

• Brainchild likes this

#12 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

I guess it's all to do with your view point.

As you know I have always believed in 'SEO by nature', ie if you design semantically correct, well designed, genuine website content, you should be 90% of the way there. (for on page SEO!) - obviously marketing and social media play a big part these days, as Google does listen out for signals to see what's hot and what's not.

With the HTML5 standard, you can see that semantically marked up content can play a major part in how G! sees your site, which is why the <nav> tag for example is very important , especially if you want site links to appear in your listing. There are a bunch of other tags that have an effect on the SE algo also, such as having a proper header, footer and section tags.

All this just shows, that my ethos of semantic mark-up really does now make a difference. I have never considered this to be SEO, I'm not doing it for the search engines, I'm doing it because it is the correct way to mark-up the content, the SEO that comes with it, is just a pleasant and desirable side effect, but not the motivation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!