• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Undoing 302 Redirect

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Last summer, after being advised that 302 redirects don't pass bad link juice and that this was a safe practice, I changed a site's domain and 302 redirected the old domain to the new domain. Traffic immediately started to recover, then tanked again right after the Oct. 4 Penguin update.

Since I did that redirect, GA has presented both old and new domains as if they are the same. In my list of sites in GA, the site is listed as:

Account: www.OldDomain.com

Property: www.NewDomain.com

View: www.OldDomain.com

GWT shows tons of links from OldDomain.com to NewDomain.com.

Upon reading some recent articles that said 302 directs pass through bad links like 301 redirects, I followed advice to create a one page site (hosted by a different company) where visitors can click a no-follow link to access NewDomain.com.

Then I realized that pointing OldDomain.com to a name server was going to screw up the client's complex Google apps MX set up, something I've never dealt with and that seems a little daunting.

So the server admin for the company where both NewDomain.com and OldDomain.com are pointed suggested that the easiest solution would be to use a 3rd domain (NewDomain2.com) on the one page site, then he would forward OldDomain.com to NewDomain2.com. So both OldDomain.com and NewDomain.com point to the same name servers, where OldDomain.com is forwarded to NewDomain2.com.

A day later, nothing has changed in GA or GWT. The both new and old domains seem married to each other.

What more must I do to divorce them?

Should I assign a new GA account and new tracking code to NewDomain.com?

Is that enough to split them or do I need to bite the bullet, eliminate the forwarding from OldDomain.com to NewDomain2.com to  and deal with the Google apps email MX changes too? Will GWT pick up on that change?

Are you confused yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!