• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This A "no-No"?

Best Answer chrishirst , 21 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

In some versions of Infernet Exploder it can trigger "Quirks Mode" where IE does NOT follow the standards for rendering but uses IE5.5 as the rendering engine (aka "Compatibility mode") but quite what it is supposed to be compatible with is anybody's guess.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Declan

Declan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

<title>test1</title><!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>default meta which I can't edit</title>

I've always thought that the <title> tag should be within the <head> but I found a field on the CMS that enables me to add it BEFORE <html> even. 

The reason I wanted to add it before is so that Google will use that <title> (which I can edit) over the one that I can't. This seems to be working OK as it has changed the title bar at the top of the browser:

sCk3vzk.png

So will this cause problems? I'm not the best technically so any help is appreciated.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,586 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

I guess you'll have to wait until a page gets indexed before you can see how a search engine will respond to this.

As a side note, I'm amazed that there's a CMS out there that doesn't let you modify the contents of the title element. Even with Google sometimes putting its own content in place of a page's actual title in the last few years, it's still a very important tag, and to have your CMS not just defaulting to making it the same on every page, but actually making it impossible to edit... that's just nuts.

• suzstephens likes this

#3 Declan

Declan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for responding.

It isn't actually impossible but editing the title field in the CMS also changes the on-page title.

There will be a way around it but that involves going through the process with the developers. I'd rather save the time and hassle and just implement it this way. As long as it won't cause any problems due to it being outside the <html> and <head>.

I'll most likely test it on one page and see how Google crawls it, like you say. Thanks again.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,717 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

but I found a field on the CMS that enables me to add it BEFORE <html> even.

So a CMS built by a clueless muppet then!!

#5 Declan

Declan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

So a CMS built by a clueless muppet then!!

So are you saying it IS bad to add it before <html> or just unorthodox?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,717 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

It's not 'bad' per se, it's just not very good.

A HTML document that is so malformed IS likely to create rendering 'issues' for browsers and assistive devices. Search engine indexers are NOT, and should NOT, be your main concern. Malformed HTML rarely creates problems for them but for visitors and the browsers they are using it quite probably will.

• Declan likes this

#7 Declan

Declan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

We would only ever be adding <title>(insert_meta_title_here)</title> before the <html> tag opens. Could you imagine that would create any problems for visitors/browsers? I don't imagine so myself but I'm not an expert in coding.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,717 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:31 PM   Best Answer

In some versions of Infernet Exploder it can trigger "Quirks Mode" where IE does NOT follow the standards for rendering but uses IE5.5 as the rendering engine (aka "Compatibility mode") but quite what it is supposed to be compatible with is anybody's guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!