• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bizarre Request (And Threat!)

Best Answer Jill , 10 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Tell them to go F* themselves.

Also, see this.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trishH

trishH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I've been contacted today by someone who's going to use Google's Disavow tool, and they've asked me to take down links from my site.  The threat was that if I don't do so they'll report me to Google which will damage my site.

I think they are taking things too far.  They are a Reptile Equipment Suppliers, and I run a Reptile website which has a fairly active forum on it.  Over the years people have asked for recommendations of equipment and suppliers, and the different forum members have recommended this company.  It's not one person recommending, it's a large number of different people creating 154 links in all. 

In my view these are bonafide links, and something the company should be pleased about - and I've told them so.  But of course, I'll have to plough through all the posts and remove them if they insist.

The reason for this post is am I right that these are not the type of links which Google wants disavowed?  Because if I'm wrong, my most successful site has hundreds (if not thousands) of links from Trip Advisor and the like, and generates a fair amount of traffic for me! 

I'm be grateful if you'd let me know who's the one going mad here!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:28 PM   Best Answer

Tell them to go F* themselves.

Also, see this.

• chrishirst and Mikl like this

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

I second what Jill says.

• Jill likes this

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

I also concur with Jill and Michael. So what if they "report you" to Google or disavow the links from your forum? Do they really think Google is just going to blindly accept the word of a third party and penalize your site simply on their say-so? Seriously, it doesn't work that way.

Personally, I think Jill is being too polite. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Maybe you should report THEM to Google.  I know I would be sorely tempted to do so.  What they are doing is just ridiculous.

• torka likes this

#6 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Maybe you should report THEM to Google.  I know I would be sorely tempted to do so.  What they are doing is just ridiculous.

Consider also reporting them to the client (assuming it is a third-party SEO company that is making these threats). They are not acting in their client's best interests, partly because the links they want you to remove are likely to be of value to the client, and partly because their actions risk giving the client a bad name. At the very least, they (the SEO firm) are acting in a most unprofessional way.

Mike

#7 trishH

trishH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:33 AM

Thank you for your replies!  I haven't been able to get back on to this site for some reason.

It wasn't an SEO firm that made the request, but the company itself.  Stupidly it's a company that's been linked to by forum users as they sell the products that are 100% relevant to the forum topic - no spammy links at all! 

I have made the links on the forum 'no follow' now, so they have lost out in my opinion.  But you've put my mind at rest re the links to my site that come from other bonafide sites. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!