• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Best Practice From Google To Follow For Pages That Render

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dobbob

dobbob

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Hi, I was hoping you might be able to help me with this issue regarding dynamic website and content.

The website we are building sets a cookie on the users browser when users arrive on the site via a query string.

I.e. Canada:
www.mywebsite.com?marketid=en-ca

These cookies are only set at the home page level, thus the query string is also only used at this 'home' level. All subcategories of this follow a standard URL pattern with no query strings and no regional identifier (as we already have the cookie).

I.e. US Sub Page
www.mywebsite.com/subcategory
I.e. Canada Sub Page
www.mywebsite.com/subcategory

So to all intensive purposes, once a users cookie is saved and they start to navigate the website there is no difference in URL whatever region you might be from, as the cookie data dynamically renders the appropriate content for users from each region.

How should we approach this in terms of best practice for Google? As yes we are able to use hreflang at the landing page level as we have a query string for each home URL, but once you navigate past/down the structure all other pages are identical and all have the same URL, as it's the cookie, not the URL that differentiates what content users from different regions will see.

Hopefully you'll be able to answer this tricky one? :)

Thanks

Ben

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,843 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Search engine crawlers and indexers don't accept cookies so will be fetching and indexing whatever the default is without cookies.

And does your system take into account that not every visitor will arive via the 'home' page.

• dobbob likes this

#3 dobbob

dobbob

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Thanks Chris,

The links with the query strings are going to be sent out as part of an email campaign and anyone not coming in on one of those URL's will be just default to to English Uk content.

I'm guessing, if we are going to use query strings, we should use these throughout the site structure and not only the home page, so there is some way to direct Google that there are various iterations of the same URL across regions?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,843 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Add links that go to the regional variants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!