• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Clicktracks Professional 4.0

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 06:52 PM

I recently got the word* that ClickTracks has released ClickTracks
Professional 4.0, the latest in their line of award-winning web
analytics products. I've been playing around with ClickTracks for a
few weeks and hope to have a review of it for you soon. Suffice it to
say -- it rocks!

They tell me that ClickTracks Pro is two to ten times faster than
previous releases, and offers new functionality designed to make
managing and understanding PPC and search engine marketing campaigns
efficient and intuitive. I saw a demo of it, and it definitely has
some really cool new stuff.

Learn more about ClickTracks 4.0.

*In the interest of full disclosure, the good people of ClickTracks
sent me some Belgian chocolates to help me remember to tell you guys
about their new release. But seriously, it really is a great product,
with or without chocolate. (Although those Belgian chocolates are
delectable!) :rolleyes:

Jill

#2 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:18 PM

Ah, Jill

You beat me to it. I was going to post my ravings about Clicktracks.

I have to say that this is the absolute best tool I have seen for analyzing website traffic. The ability to "tag" users by origination (keyword, engine, purchase, etc.) is the most amazing and common sense approach I have ever seen.

We still use it in conjunction with Webtrends, as WT is still good for basic log analysis for hosting clients. Also, marketing clients love the feedback and analysis that we can give them with CT.

The whole organization has a very customer-focused attitude. They have added features from our requests and added functionality that was still in beta for their current users. Their customer service is some of the best and friendliest Iíve dealt with. You can talk with them by phone, email, AOL IM, MSN Messenger, Yahoo messenger and ICQ. Beat that!

ClickTracks Rules!

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:29 PM

Yeah, I've only played with it a little so far, and have much to learn about it. But it seems quite amazing.

And John Marshall has a darn nice British accent too!

Jill

#4 jbelle

jbelle

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:01 AM

Obviously, this question has a lot to do with your web host, but if we were to purchase ClickTracks Analyzer, what experiences have people had with downloading their log files and importing them into ClickTracks?

Also, we're debating at the moment between ClickTracks and ConversionRuler. Both seem to provide some of the same features, but ClickTracks doesn't limit click-throughs. We don't sell directly on our site, but rather receive leads, so it didn't seem wise to go with a system--at least this early on in the game, for us--that potentially limited traffic.

But does ClickTracks work as well with Overture as it seems to with Google? (From their little demo.)

If anyone has a little pro-con list they'd like to throw in here, we'd much appreciate it as we consider our options! At least we're having a hard time deciding because of an abundance of options as opposed to a lack.

Thanks.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:16 AM

Welcome, jbelle! How'd you find us already in this beta testing stage? (Glad you did.)

ClickTracks and ConversionRuler are very, very, very different!

ClickTracks is a full-featured log file/stats analyzer program. Sort of like what you might expect from WebTrends and the like. The difference is that it has a much more intuitive interface, plus it can track any type of conversions that you set it to track. I'm only just learning it, and haven't quite figured out what I should track and what I shouldn't. Lots to wrap your head around.

As to the log files, I have been able to download the log files from my server by hand (through my server control panel) and then import them into ClickTracks. I wasn't able to figure out a path to have clicktracks automatically download them. I think it depends on your server. But downloading by hand hasn't been any big deal, and worth the extra 2 minutes it takes.

Now, Conversion Ruler, on the other hand doesn't look at your log files or anything like that. It's really just a very simple program where you add a little code to certain pages of your site, and then it sets certain cookies which are able to provide you with info.

ConversionRuler is a good low-priced option for tracking specific links. But you have to code the specific links you want to track with tracking codes. It's no big deal once you figure it all out, but again, it's a whole 'nother ball game from ClickTracks. You may want to read my review of ClickTracks that I recently wrote for my newsletter.

Let us know if you have any questions about this.

Jill

#6 jbelle

jbelle

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the info!

I, of course, use your web site HighRankings.com and your newsletter, so for some reason today I "googled" your name and found your personal site with a link to the boards. And I had to dive right in!

Thanks for another great resource (because I'm sure it will be!).

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:30 PM

Hey jbelle, thanks for letting me know. I added that link in my blog late last night, but figured no one would see it since I hardly ever post there! How funny. Just goes to show that you never know, and it's good to always cover your bases.

Anyway, welcome jbelle, I hope you'll stick around here!

Jill

#8 HorseCove

HorseCove

Horses are good for the soul.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:19 PM

Blogs rule too! :nerd:

#9 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 11:33 PM

Welcome jbelle! :bye:

See Jill? More people than your mother read the blog...

#10 viz

viz

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:25 PM

SEO Guy - sounds like I'm not the only big fan of ClickTracks! :stout:

I thought Version 3 was an amazing tool for SEM and was blown away when John Marshall previewed Version 4 to me some weeks back. Since then I've been hanging out for its release and it's been worth it. Brilliant! I recommend anyone serious about search engine marketing check it out. For those interested there's a review here: http://www.viz.co.nz/clicktracks.htm

#11 Running Scared

Running Scared

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:15 AM

I have been meaning to test drive this product for ages and never got round to it. I use conversion ruler and love it. I appreciate that ClickTracks does a lot more than CR but which of the following is the case:

1. CT does all that CR does and more; or
2. CT does a lot of things that CR does not do but CR does some things CT does not do?

#12 thejenn

thejenn

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:30 AM

I'm not usually one to go with the group, but i've got to add my ravings for ClickTracks 4.0 Pro. I've been playing with it since they released it last week (after waiting impatiently for it to come out, the demo just made me drool!).

I LOVE it. Granted, you've got to make some adjustments to how your site is setup to be able to take full advantage of the features (I had some clients that manage their own PPC campaigns that weren't using query strings to tag the traffic, and you do have to set a query string that shows the cost of any transaction so that you can track your profit per visitor) but once you get that taken care of, there's more ability for in-depth ROI analysis than I've seen with any other program.

Add to this the fact that every time I have a question, all I have to do is IM them and they're right on top of it, and I'm just loving this company. (The starbucks gift cards they handed out in Boston should have clued us all in to how great they'd be.) :)

#13 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:39 AM

(The starbucks gift cards they handed out in Boston should have clued us all in to how great they'd be.) :)

That was a nice incentive, wasn't it?

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 11:00 AM

1.  CT does all that CR does and more; or
2.  CT does a lot of things that CR does not do but CR does some things CT does not do?

Yes on number 1.

I doubt there's anything that ConversionRuler does that ClickTracks doesn't do.

You really can't compare them. Clicktracks is a comprehensive log file stat analysis tool with built in conversion and sales tracking.

ConversionRuler is just a very simple tracking program, that gives you a little bit of info. I love CR because of it's simplicity. (And it's price.)

ClickTracks has so much to it that it's kind of complicated, and I haven't had the chance to really work with it and figure it out. If you want comprehensiveness in your tracking, ClickTracks is definitely the way to go.

If you just need some quick reports on how certain links you have out there convert traffic to sales, then ConversionRuler will do the trick.

Hope this helps! :)

Jill

#15 viz

viz

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:37 PM

Have to agree with you there Jill. ClickTracks is great, but may be overkill for some.

Also even though ClickTracks makes a great job of simplifying downloading & reading logfile it can still sometimes be an issue. Problems I've struck are things like client logfiles not being set up correctly & as a result referrer information or PPC parameters aren't recorded. Having said that, I've found the ClickTracks support team incredibly helpful and responsive in helping sort out these problems.

Accessing logfiles isn't always possible, such as with Yahoo Store hosted sites. ClickTracks address this by offering a hosted service which uses JavaScript bugs like ConversionRuler and similar services. The pricing is based on pageviews p month and starts at $49 for up to 150,000 pageviews.

ConversionRuler pricing is based on clickthroughs rather than pageviews and starts from $20 p month. For $49 (ClickTrack's starting price) you'd get 12,500 clickthroughs with ConversionRuler.

So if you get less than 12,500 clickthroughs per month from PPC and other campaigns you're measuring, then ConversionRuler is cheaper. But it doesn't present all the analysis ClickTracks offers.

At the end of the day, it's really a case of courses for horses. Both services offer free trials which really is the best way to work out what's best for your needs.

Hope that helps.

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.