• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domain That Has Been Redirected Still Being Indexed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

I have two domains in the format:

www.acmepropertycompany.co.nz and www.apc.com/newzealand

they are both now being 301 redirected to www.apc.co.nz

However the site www.apc.com/newzealand is still appearing in the search results for keyword searches and URL searches. Google has cached the site after the redirect was put in place and in fact is showing the new site in its cache.

I realise 301s can take a while for Google to drop results from the search results but is it normal to for Google to follow the redirect, cache the new site and still keep the old site in the serps?

Thanks in advance

E

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

Are you sure you have issued a 301 and not a 302? Check www.apc.com/newzealand using a tool such as http://www.rexswain.com/httpview.html

#3 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Alan, nice tool.

It's definitely a 301 but I came across something odd in the source code that the tool spat out. The redirect to domain www.apc.co.nz has a canonical tag linking to the old domain www.apc.com/newzealand ??

Do you think this would cause issues?

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

When you say "Google is showing the new site in its cache", does the cache header appear at the top? Or are you actually being redirected to the site somehow? E.g. perhaps the cached page has a Javascript redirect on it too.

If the canonical caused the issue then it would be a (Google) bug. I'd be less surprised that a bug existed if the canonical was in the HTTP response header rather than the HTML response body but, either way, it would probably be a good idea to get rid of that canonical.

#5 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Yes the header appears at the top stating when the page was cached etc.

I checked the headers in the Firefox developer tool bar and the live headers extension and there doesnt seem to be any canonical HTTP headers, the site is in .Net so I can't decipher the code as well as if it was PHP.

Still a bit of a mystery to me.

#6 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

Sounds like it may be a Google bug. If you want me to take a look, message me with the actual URL.

#7 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

So, Eddy messaged me and the situation is that URLa does a 301 redirect to URLb, and URLb's HTML contains a canonical tag citing URLa as the canonical. URLa and URLb are on different domains. In these circumstances, in this case and at this time, the content at URLb is being indexed under the URL of URLa.

I'd say that Google was doing its best to obey the canonical tag, but it would be unwise to rely on this behaviour if that was what you wanted to happen. Alternatively, If you wanted the content of URLb to be indexed at the URL of URLb, remove the canonical tag from the HTML of URLb and give things a bit of time to sort themselves out.

Eddy, I've messaged you with more details.

• Jill and EddyGonzalez like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!