• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

I Contacted An Seo Company And They Said Our New Site Will Never Rank.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keithf

Keithf

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

I recently had a new website designed for our business. When we decided on the layout of the site we didn't actually focus on ranking the site. I recently contacted an SEO company but they said they would not work on the site unless we redesigned it and that it would never rank. The niche we're in isn't very competitive and location wise wouldn't be very competitive either (Ireland) so I was wondering if what this company is telling me is true?! The site address is [removed]. I know the site has not got a lot of content but we are adding to the blog and will continue to add content where possible. Any advice is appreciated and I would love to know if this guy was trying to con me or telling me the truth because I put a great deal of effort into the layout of the site. Thank!

Edited by Jill, 25 February 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,938 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

we didn't actually focus on ranking the site.

Well done! That's absolutely the right thing to do! Create and develop your website as if search engines didn't exist, they [search engines] will love you for doing that.

so I was wondering if what this company is telling me is true?!

Probably not.

Start reading here to find out what really matters.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

What do they mean by "redesign"? If they're talking about the look and feel of the pages, then they're absolutely wrong. Google really doesn't care about your color scheme or what your logo looks like or where you choose to put photos on your pages.

On the other hand, if they're saying the site architecture is sub-optimal (i.e. important information can't be accessed without going through several clicks, that sort of thing), then they might have a point.

It could be that's what they're talking about. Or it could simply be they're not very good at SEO, and don't know how to "optimize" a site at all... only how to shoehorn every site they encounter into some "magic" template they acquired somewhere. Might be helpful to ask them for clarification as to what exactly they mean by the word "redesign," and what specifically it is about your current design that doesn't work for them.

Follow the link Chris posted; read the articles there. Once you've got a better handle on what real SEO is all about, you'll have a bunch of pointed questions you can ask, and you'll be better equipped to evaluate their answers.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#4 Keithf

Keithf

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Well done! That's absolutely the right thing to do! Create and develop your website as if search engines didn't exist, they [search engines] will love you for doing that.

Probably not.

Start reading here to find out what really matters.

I didn't design the site, I paid someone to do it. What I meant was that as a business owner I was focused on the look and trusted (still trust) the designer. Anyone who visits my site wants to see my product - I own a high end kitchen design company and we also manufacture our designs. I asked the designer for a site with large galleries so that my potential customers can see what I do. I also asked for it to look clean have a blog and basically focus on making images look good on all devises. 

If the site was designed badly for the search engines I hold my hand up and take responsibility as I can be slightly pig headed as a business owner and because I'm a designer I wanted input. I didn't trust the SEO company I approached and wondered if they were lying to me in order to get a design and SEO payment and I just wanted to know if I am being conned!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the link you gave me I really appreciate it!

What do they mean by "redesign"? If they're talking about the look and feel of the pages, then they're absolutely wrong. Google really doesn't care about your color scheme or what your logo looks like or where you choose to put photos on your pages.

On the other hand, if they're saying the site architecture is sub-optimal (i.e. important information can't be accessed without going through several clicks, that sort of thing), then they might have a point.

Hi and thanks for the reply. 

The guy I spoke with said he wanted to scrap the new site and start from scratch. He said the new site I had designed would never rank since Google recent updates. The pages don't have much content beside images and descriptions so I thought he may have a point. 

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

So why can't you just add content?

#6 Keithf

Keithf

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

So why can't you just add content?

Hi Jill, 

I have added some content but I can't add much more without it affecting the look of the site. I recently put some more text on the homepage but it is below the fold and my main image. The site is only up and running since Nov 2013 so I don't have a lot of blog posts up yet but this should hopefully change in the coming weeks months. 

Thanks for the reply, I have been following your posts etc for a number of years.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,938 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

The trouble is SEO "experts" think that a lot of words on every 'page' is somehow vital, because it isn't, you need just enough words to tell people about the product. Search engines really don't care if you do that in ten, a hundred or a thousand words and if you give real people too much to read, they will skip most of it, [usually the important bit].

Verbiage just for the sake of it is unecessary, wasteful and can have a negative effect, the message about what you are selling and why they should buy it 'right now' and make their life much better, is what you have to convey rather than dazzling them with your eloquence and ability to waffle.

• Keithf likes this

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

As long as you don't mind getting most of your traffic from long tail keywords (which is what most sites get these days anyway) then you should be fine with your blog posts. 

• Keithf likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!