• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Seo The Right Choice For My Website Niche?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 olimits7

olimits7

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi,

I'm at a point now where I'm not holding SEO as high of a priority as I use to.  My website niche doesn't have a high search volume when it comes to my best primary keywords; so I feel SEO for my website is just not worth the time and money. 

For example, on Adwords for an exact match on my primary keywords I'm only getting 500 average monthly searches.  I then compare this to a more well known niche "inbound marketing" and this primary keyword is receiving 27,000+ average monthly searches.  I know Adwords isn't 100% accurate in telling me what the exact search volume is but it's a good gauge .

Recently, after the Google "Penguin/Panda" algorithm updates my primary keywords dropped from being ranked around page 1 or 2 on Google to page 7+ now.  However, even when I was at page 1 or 2; I wasn't really receiving much organic traffic from Google because of the low search volume of my niche.

I'm changing gears now and focusing on other verticals of traffic sources, and I'm seeing my website grow more through these channels than trying to rely on Google's organic searches to bring in good traffic.

I know SEO is important especially if you are targeting high volume keywords, but I just lost faith in SEO for my specific website niche.  I just don't believe SEO is the best option for my website in bringing good traffic leads.

Thoughts?  Am I right in thinking SEO isn't for every website?  Or have I not found the right SEO agency to work with; which is a whole other topic because it is so hard to weed out the good from all the crappy SEO agencies out there?

Thank you!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

SEM vs SEO is NOT an either/or 'thing' if your website isn't optimised, how are you going to convert traffic from advertising at an acceptable ratio?
  • thanhzenhth82 likes this

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

It sounds like you weren't really using SEO but rather just mass links and cheap content. Real optimization is not affected by either Panda or Penguin.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

I'm changing gears now and focusing on other verticals of traffic sources, and I'm seeing my website grow more through these channels than trying to rely on Google's organic searches to bring in good traffic.

Very smart! 

SEO was always supposed to be the "gravy" in terms of the traffic your site gets, not the main dish. This is even more true these days with all the competition in just about any space. 

So yeah, focus your efforts on other things, while making sure your site is still easily accessible by search engines and has the basic elements built in. By doing that, you'll be surprised that over time you'll get visitors from search without even trying!

#5 AdnigTechnologies

AdnigTechnologies

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

I think you are wrong,in my opinion SEO is the best way to optimize your website.But SEO should be done by a expert agencies.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

.But SEO should be done by a expert agencies.

Oh please!!!!

Most "expert" agencies are totally clueless. The best person to make a site  perform the best it can (optimal) is someone who understands the market sector the site is in and the customers in that market sector.

#7 joanmatilda

joanmatilda

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

Oh please!!!!

Most "expert" agencies are totally clueless. The best person to make a site  perform the best it can (optimal) is someone who understands the market sector the site is in and the customers in that market sector.

Are you trying to say that seo is useless or submissions are useless to make a site to be listed at first.???

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

SEO isn't useless.

It's the people who claim to be SEOs that are clueless!

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Basic search engine optimization is now pretty well documented.  Everyone can learn the basics pretty quickly: make your site crawlable, block crawling of pages you don't want indexed, keep navigation simple, avoid duplicate content, etc.

Anything beyond that calls for constant learning and tweaking.  It's tough to be an expert in constant change.

#10 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Are you trying to say that seo is useless or submissions are useless to make a site to be listed at first.???

Are you trying to claim "submissions" has anything to do with SEO?

--Torka :oldfogey:

#11 seolion

seolion

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

So here's my take;

I run a site and received on average 1,500 uniques per month from very effective content marketing (site was <2 months old).

Bringing these visitors in was extremely time-consuming, not just because of the time related to researching and creating the content which should be a given, no matter what you do, but the outreach itself was the most time consuming process.

Time = money and you should consider what your time is worth and figure out what it's costing you to perform a certain task.

Also, the commercial viability of these sorts of visitors is a lot lower, you have to get these people into your funnel for long enough to get to the activation phase. At which point they actually interact with your site and content, be it a share, comment or in the best case scenario for a first time visit for my site, subscribe to my mailing list.

From there it's easier to retain these visitors for a longer period of time and build trust, get more activation and even acquisition through acquiring natural backlinks, shares, word of mouth etc.

SEO depending on what hat you tip can be more useful than content marketing alone, simply because you can spend a certain amount of money or time, and once you're ranked in a position you're moderately happy with you'll be able to take your foot off the gas a bit, receive a steady flow of visitors without any additional daily work (at least for some time) and most importantly being ranked highly for any keyword someone is searching for is going to attach a certain amount of authority to your site.

Some keywords are extremely commercially viable, which means a lot of these visitors will convert into sales if your site is good, or your offer/service is good.

I ended my site at around month 4 to focus on client work, apart from some long tail keywords I ranked for by serendipity I received very little search traffic, to me this was a huge problem.

Since this time I've always focused on SEO first and worked on other channels second. I still spend immense amounts of time working on my content, except this is actually focused on a certain keyword or set of keywords.

After this point I'll look for some broken link building opportunities as my first SEO task. This still perform outreach, but I'm guaranteed links if I put in a few hours work. Next I'll make sure I get the article indexed, the backlinks indexed and then I can move onto other SEO tasks and general content marketing based activities.

Lesson:

There's no one thing you should be doing, you should be treating your inbound marketing strategy as an all encompassing strategy that is seamlessly integrated with one another.

#12 akiookabe

akiookabe

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

I'm Japanese, I feel very difficult about SEO in English

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:48 AM

I'm English, so I would find SEO in Japanese very difficult. SO if I needed to be "big in Japan" I would hire someone who IS Japanese to deal with the language and cultural differences.

#14 jon-d

jon-d

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

OP, your previous seo strategy sounds flawed due to relying on one keyword only. Build well researched, well written, useful content around your niche and you could pick up longtail organic and referral traffic too. Put a bit of effort into social and content amplification and your "SEO strategy" has a new lease of life, more focus and better results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!