• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Unwanted Links & Scrapers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Promoman

Promoman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

I have been doing a pretty good job cleaning out my now unwanted links by removing myself, requesting removal by email using site address or whosis list -   but I notice a couple of foreign sites that have recently created the same link to my home page and it multiplies to thousands of links -   I have emailed them - but the site is [removed] - an arabic site that I am sure I will never hear back from...

Question is - will disavowing this file do the trick?   And for sites scraping products from our site - how does Google know I am the originator of the copy on such pages?

Edited by Jill, 07 February 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,112 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

The disavow tool is NOT for 'removing' links you don't 'like', it is for removing links that YOU placed and now wish you hadn't.

http://www.highranki...is-it/?p=333744

Edited by chrishirst, 07 February 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#3 Promoman

Promoman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Understood - it is a no-follow indicator for Google - and we are trying to have links removed in process  - but still, there are tons of links we did not place - those are the ones I am concerned with.  How does Google know what we placed and did not?  

#4 Promoman

Promoman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

I jumped the gun too fast with my response - sorry.  So, if I have over 1,000 links on my disavow tool - and if I go back and review and just keep in links that I clearly remember creating (we are talking from years 2007-2012) - and remove any others - including ones that point to us 20,000 times?

Edited by Promoman, 07 February 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

It's doubtful that you even have to remove (disavow) the old links. It's only ones you've been recently "placing" that would likely be a problem. 

And Google knows about the scraper sites already as well.

#6 Promoman

Promoman

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Thank you.  Going through one last time with fine tooth comb anyway.  And then I need to focus on the site and PPC while I wait it out.  - too much time spent undoing stuff and panicking - It's almost like Google is issuing a punishment to go and clean up your room after you messed it up.

Edited by Promoman, 07 February 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,112 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

It's almost like Google is issuing a punishment to go and clean up your room after you messed it up

That's a reasonably accurate analogy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!