• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Let's Play..."which Google Animal Is It?"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Hi, all. I think this'll be my 100th post. Yay! Well, given that I've been a member since '07, I guess that pretty dismal. Ok, now on to our game show:

One of my sites was getting about 400-350 visits per business day, for a few years steady, then at the end of April 2012....Boom. Traffic started to slip. Here's a history line:

4/23/12 Monday - 404 visits

4/24/12 Tue - 370 visits

4/25/12 Wed - 245 visits

4/26/12 Thur - 268 visits

4/27/12 Fri - 192 visits............4/30/12 Monday - 257 visits...........9/24/12 Monday - 178 visits.....today it's about 150 visits per day.

Penguin, Panda? Not sure if this is about issues with content on my pages, or bad links. The question is: Which tactic do I use to fix, (content fixes or Disallow Links on Google Webmaster Tools)?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,926 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

One of my sites was getting about 400-350 visits per business day, for a few years steady, then at the end of April 2012....Boom. Traffic started to slip. Here's a history line:

Traffic from where?

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

You don't provide enough information for people to help you. In addition to "traffic from where", what were you doing through those years to get the traffic?

#4 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Below are statistics since the 4/23/12 traffic drop-off. Google represents the main loss.

google / organic

Apr 22, 2013 - Apr 29, 2013: 228

Apr 23, 2012 - Apr 30, 2012: 1,155

% Change: -80.26%

#5 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

My inquiry was relative to the Google animal that was known to be active during the end of April 2012, as there was a dramatic loss of traffic during that specific period. The traffic has never returned. As for my work, I was clearly doing everything that was consistent (at the time) with effective SEO results, as this was a top-ranked site on Google. 

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Late April 2012 is an interesting period. You've got two Panda updates released, one on April 19 and another on the 27th, and right in between was the original rollout of Penguin, on April 24. At least according to posts I've seen, the Panda updates were minor tweaks that didn't have much apparent effect, but Penguin is Penguin.

So Michael's question remains: what had you been doing to promote the site during the time leading up to the drop in traffic? Specifically in regard to Penguin, had you been actively building links, and if so, by what method?

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,926 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Google represents the main loss.

So has traffic that isn't from Search also dropped as your statement implies?

#8 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

"So has traffic that isn't from Search also dropped as your statement implies?"

Nope; just from Google.

"Specifically in regard to Penguin, had you been actively building links, and if so, by what method?"

Yes, the usual stuff for the time; article directories, blog posts, etc. Sounds like to me Penguin is the culprit. Correct? If so, I hear the "Disallow Links" tool on Google Webmaster Tools is a good way to start disallowing crappy links. So is the solution find them with the Majestic or the SEOMOZ tool and zap them with the "Disallow Links" tool? Anything else?

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,926 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

article directories, blog posts, etc

So just the usual, useless, 'spammy' stuff that is inviting trouble with Google's current algorithm incarnations.

I hear the "Disallow Links" tool on Google Webmaster Tools is a good way to start disallowing crappy links.

Only if you stop "building" crappy links first.

The ONLY links you should be disavowing are the ones that YOU (or an agent acting for you) has been getting, any that 'just happen' you can leave well alone, because you don't actually know which 'count' and which don't.

Google already has the aggregators and scrapers covered so don't need any prompting from you to ignore them. The disavow tool is for when you are capitulating to Google, for your "link building" activities / transgressions before you learned what was the right way of 'improving' your website's "Search performance".

You are telling Google;

'We were wrong to place these links, we accept that and beg for your forgiveness"

It is NOT for saying "We don't like these links, ignore them", because there is every chance that they are already being ignored and you are then making yourself appear 'guilty as charged' M'lud.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Anything else?

Yeah. You're going to have to now have something worth linking to and then get the word out to those who might be in a position and have a desire to link to whatever it is.

Disavowing will simply  make those past links not count. It won't help your rankings and traffic because you will still need to show Google that your site is worth them showing it for relevant search queries.

#11 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

Gotcha. I also just finished reading Jill's article: http://www.highranki...ight-places-316

The last paragraph, which is a March 2012 update, coming just a month before my April 2012 concerns, proves remarkably spot-on. As always, thank you to you all for the very best Internet marketing advice on the Web.

H

• Jill likes this

#12 Marbella

Marbella

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

Why don't you perform backlink analysis? This will help you see the status of your site and identify good and bad links that affect your site's ranking.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,926 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

and identify good and bad links that affect your site's ranking

Nope, you cannot find out which links help, which 'hurt' and which are ignored.

The only "backlink analysis" you need to do, is checking your site logs to see which links are sending real traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!