• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Post Penguin Seo Relevancy For Small Businesses

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HeroGambit

HeroGambit

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm trying to rack my head around how a small local business like say a hairdresser or dentist will have SEO in the post Penguin environment. I mean, how relevant will content marketing going to be for your local dentist? I keep on hearing that after Penguin you have to have killer content that everyone what's to share with everyone else to rank in SERPs. But I mean, what's "killer content" for a local dentist and who goes around sharing their local dentist's content anyway? How much social media engagement for a local dentist should you actually expect? Let's say I'm going to get a root-canal, the last thing I can imagine myself doing is going on the dentists blog and liking or sharing their content.

It just doesn't seem realistic for small local businesses or am I missing something?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,033 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

I keep on hearing that after Penguin you have to have killer content that everyone what's to share with everyone else to rank in SERPs

Actually you should have been doing that pre "Penguin", "Panda", "Caffeine", "Florida" and every other 'named' algorithm change Google has applied.

It just doesn't seem realistic for small local businesses or am I missing something?

Yep, SEO does NOT revolve around 'rankings', and "Search" isn't just about search engines.

Read the Tips For New Seos articles for more.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

I'm trying to rack my head around how a small local business like say a hairdresser or dentist will have SEO in the post Penguin environment. I mean, how relevant will content marketing going to be for your local dentist?...

I hope not relevant at all. I consider the vast majority of "content marketing" to be nothing more than another form of link spam. Most of the people who talk about "content marketing" are publishing guest posts on blogs.

True content marketing is supposed to stimulate new demand from a previously unaware/untapped audience/market. You can do that on the Internet, and you can do it with guest posts. But you don't need all the flim-flammery that has gone into most SEO-based "content marketing".

THAT SAID, a dentist could indeed use content marketing on Websites that appeal to local audiences. It's like writing a feature article for your local community newspaper. I find it hard to believe the typical dentist would actually need articles from a hundred blogs that have nothing to do with his/her community unless the dentist is trying to build a national/international audience (so as to become the next TV personality or something).

... I keep on hearing that after Penguin you have to have killer content that everyone what's to share with everyone else to rank in SERPs....

I have been telling people to market their sites that way since 1999. So that's hardly an "after-Penguin" strategy.

...But I mean, what's "killer content" for a local dentist and who goes around sharing their local dentist's content anyway?...

Just off the top of my head, I can think of a few article topics that would be "killer content" for a local dentist:
  • Local dentist gives needy child a new smile
  • Local dentist organizes free dental care for 200 school childre
  • Local dentist volunteers overseas for poor, third-world children
  • Local dentist leads charity drive to raise money for needy family
  • Local dentist sponsors charity event for disadvantaged children
  • Local dentist teams up with veterinarian to help storm-suffering pets
If the local dentist does something other than wait for people to walk in the door, there should be plenty to write about, and anything written from a human interest angle has the potential to become a big story (relevant to the size of the market).

...It just doesn't seem realistic for small local businesses or am I missing something?

It's the marketer's job to come up with the marketing campaign. It's the small business owner's job to pick the right marketing campaign. Sometimes the small business owner IS the marketer, but even then the jobs don't change.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 31 January 2014 - 08:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!