• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Forum: Www.url/forum Or Forum.url.com?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

Hi

I am in the process of redeveloping a site that I have just purchased. The site has always had a forum associated with it, but currently the URL is not associated with the website itself which I see as a weakness as I want to ensure the site itself gets as many visits as possible.

The forum was extremely popular in the past but the site has lost popularity recently, since getting affected by a Panda update a year or two ago. So there is a huge forum with tens of thousands of users and posts that I obviously want to keep. However, the forum is currently held on URL.ibphost.com so if you go on Alexa (or another similar site) and type the URL of the main site, I don't think it will be including visits to the forum (or perhaps I am wrong?).

I have the option to change the URL to forum.URL.com, but all of the modern forums seem to be an extension of the main URL i.e. www.URL.com/forum, which seems more difficult to carry out from a development point of view. Would the latter have any benefits or would I be getting exactly the same things in the way of website popularity as seen by Google and the visit-tracking sites, by having forum.URL.com?

I want the site (www.URL.com) to seem as popular as possible so that all the visits to both the forum and the main pages of the website are tracked unilaterally.

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,657 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

I don't know how Alexa would view the subdomain, because I don't particularly care about or pay attention to Alexa data. Search engines will view it all as one site if you set up your branding and information architecture to indicate that that's what it is.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,378 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

if you go on Alexa (or another similar site) and type the URL of the main site, I don't think it will be including visits to the forum (or perhaps I am wrong?).

You are, Alexa counts for absolutely nothing at all, never has, never will do. Unless you are thinking of selling the site to clueless clown who thinks it is "valuable", and in that case all you need to do is; Install the crappy alexa "toolbar" along with the junk that comes with it and then visit your 'home page' several times a day using as many browsers as you can install on any and every computer you have, get your friends and family to join in the fun and frivolities, and your "Alexa ranking" will be "improved" in a few weeks.

In the meantime of course, your conversions will not have improved one little bit and and real visits to your pages will not have changed, but you will have a good Alexa rating to show your accountant.

but currently the URL is not associated with the website itself which I see as a weakness as I want to ensure the site itself gets as many visits as possible.

You're wrong on the "weakness".

Would the latter have any benefits or would I be getting exactly the same things in the way of website popularity as seen by Google and the visit-tracking sites, by having forum.URL.com?

None at all and It does NOT matter in the slightest!

How you link to the various URLs and integrate them from a user point of view is the important part.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Definitely leave it as is. 

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

I can't add much to the expert advice you've already been given, except to note that you said:

the site has lost popularity recently, since getting affected by a Panda update a year or two ago

If that's the case, shouldn't you be focusing on why it was affected by the Panda update - and to fix whatever caused it?

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!