• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo Proposal Spam

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

About a year back I rekindled a couple blog categories, scams and spam. I intentionally allow/release spam/scams to pass into my inbox so that I can post them in my blog. Amongst other things, the messages provide a wealth of content for my blog, maybe 125-150 posts. It is anything but keyword stuffing, but the SEO content is focused as it - I don't write it, yet I am the postal carrier.

I'm anything but an SEO expert, but I do try to keep aware of SEO trends. Having followed Panda/Penguin reforms for a couple years and watching a lot of HR posts I see what I see. The SEO proposal seems to me to be particularly ludicrous in light of current trends. Here is a common spam message:

Get your site on Google’s Front Page search:

If yes, please let us know your website which you want to optimize. We will analyze your website with full SEO Proposal with plan activity which we will implement on your website.

Our Highlights: 

1. SEO (Search Engine Optimization)                                                              

2. Pay per click (PPC)

3. Press Release

4. Article Submission/Article Writing

5. Blog Submissions/Writing

6. Directory Submission

7. Social Media Optimization.

We always adopt the ETHICAL SEO process/White hat techniques; we also follow the guidelines of Google and major search engine for Organic SEO results which stay there.

ADVANTAGES FOR YOUR BUSINESS

- 100% Transparency: Detailed tracking & reporting

- 05 Years Experience

- 100% Success Rate

You are rarely addressed by name, some state that they have reviewed your website, but provide no evidence that they even know your name (Hi there ...), and they include a list of 'tactics' that seem to be more about bloating the package, fluffing it up, as opposed, to 'Real SEO'. Many will include a signature at the end that says they are against spamming yet here they are. Some of the more laughable ones talk about content writing but can't seem to assemble a grammatically correct sentence. You frequently see guaranteed first page placement, yet no mention of implementing local or ads.

The question - no real question. Feedback appreciated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

What sort of feedback are you looking for?

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Not sure. Perhaps an affirmation that it's all baloney intended to prey on the naieve amongst us. I was thinking back to the post a couple weeks back, "Did I get Ripped Off...". There is not a bundle of accountability when you get engaged with services such as these. Oh, and it's nice to see my avatar back!

Edited by bobmeetin, 23 January 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

. Perhaps an affirmation that it's all baloney intended to prey on the naieve amongst us. I

Seriously? They send email spam. 'nuff said!

• rankingsurvivor likes this

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Are you saying that you simply post these messages on your blog without any comments or advice on your part? Or do you use the messages as examples to illustrate posts that you write yourself? I could see how the latter might be useful to your visitors, but I don't see the point of simply posting the messages.

By the way, this article might strike a chord with you: Get me to the top of Google? Don't take me for a sucker.

Mike

#6 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

I provide an overview for each of these two super categories discussing things to watch for and add some comments talking to the individual posts. If I can affirm that the list is a bunch of useless fluff, I might say that. The point is, should you trust something as important as SEO to businesses that practice these techniques, market as they do?  I've heard it echoed several times that good SEO's are busy and don't have to chase business.

In posting the scams I'm genuinely satisfied when someone sends a thank you. Hopefully the scammers aren't savvy enough to get a visa, charter a plane, find me and hash things out over coffee and cognac.

Nice article - marketing is a game. There is always a way to support your point providing you have an arsenal of statistics to choose from. The naieve amongst us commonly don't know the right questions to ask. Dig dig dig.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

...I've heard it echoed several times that good SEO's are busy and don't have to chase business.

Of course we have to "chase business". But we do it through more reputable marketing practices. I'm always happy to get business through referrals but I don't sit around waiting for the referrals to come in.

I know Jill doesn't believe in cold calling. I've encountered some cold callers in my time who weren't doing anything wrong. I even did business with a couple of them. Had no regrets.

You don't just magically appear on the business scene and suddenly everyone knows you're there and you're great and they should be referring all their friends to you. You have to work toward that kind of reputation.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

The point is, should you trust something as important as SEO to businesses that practice these techniques, market as they do? 

Of course not. If you do, you get what you deserve, IMO.

#9 SEOCopyWiterUK

SEOCopyWiterUK

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

Of course not. If you do, you get what you deserve, IMO.

Agree. SEO business is a consultancy, just went to see my business coach yesterday and we agreed. You need to see testimonials or at least proof of expertise. This is why you always go by the reputation and not "who shouts louder". Chances are that they would use a cookie-cutter software that ruins websites long term. Indeed, you need to be careful. You would not trust an incompetent hairdresser to do your new style: you have to live with it for a long time or spend a lot of money on fixing the damage. The same is true here. Hope this clarifies it.

#10 rankingsurvivor

rankingsurvivor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I find it shocking that SEO companies can get business this way, but I'm sure they do. Unsuspecting site owners get fleeced by companies offering "SEO services" but don't have a clue as to what they are doing!

I get calls all the time from SEO service providers offering me guaranteed rankigns in Google. I can't help but laugh and act neive for the first few minutes, then when I get tired of their blatant lies flip the table on them. You wouldn't believe how fast they rush off the phones when they realize you aren't some idiot and have more SEO knowledge then they do.

#11 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:26 AM

Perhaps I need to rekindle this post as a new post.  For well over a year now I have been collecting proposal spam as well as scams and posting it verbatim in my blog. I commonly add a couple comments about why you as a business owner don't want to respond to the spam, but it feels incomplete. The goal is to educate the viewer and not just warn.

You, the reader and business owner, just got a message with a subject like 'guaranteed 1st page ranking on google'. I'll start by listing some reasons why this doesn't work.  I could use some additional perspective on why using guaranteed SEO services will fail  potentially cause more damage than good, or simply fail due to misunderstanding/misinterpretation.

• Guaranteed first page ranking is an ambiguous statement - first page for what?
  • Results based upon an irrelevant set of keywords
  • Where - does it occur in relation to where my customers exist?
  • Local search placement - obviously locale-specific
  • PPC - yes you can make some PPC guarantees, but ...
  • Using shadow-game techniques that will falter over time and cause damage - list some please?
  • Obvious black-hat techniques such as "..."
  • Changing personal preferences to the first page display 20, 30 or maybe 50 results
  • Which google? google.com, google.ca, etc?
  • The guarantee is based upon some eeb browser personal preferences.
  • Guarantee implies a bonified guarantee - how do I get a refund if the guarantee fails? And what happens if your efforts cause more damage than good? Realistically, how do you collect a refund from a company in another country? 
  • The spammer lives  behind a gmail or yahoo or hotmail email account. Gosh what does that tell you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!