• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Traffic Down, Www To Non.www Changes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mja1906

mja1906

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

For a long time I (unknowingly) had a canonical issue, as looking historically (webmaster tools) both the www. and non-www. versions of my site were being indexed

However all my external links were going to the www.site.com , so I always considered this the ‘main’ site

After my webdeveloper re-designed the site, I think he made the ‘non-www’ version the main version, so I started to see indexed pages for this go up.

And for the ‘www.site’ version, my impressions went down, but my site traffic went up? (I don’t really understand how this could be? Surely if impressions go up, traffic cannot go down?).

When I realised this, I asked him to revert back to the ‘www.site’ version as the main one, and I re-submitted sitemaps to google

However since he’s done that, I’ve noticed traffic has dropped.

Any ideas anyone? I’m a bit stumped when it comes to this one.
Has it got anything to do with changes in directory paths/ site structure when you change from www.site to non.www
???

Edited by Jill, 20 January 2014 - 09:18 AM.
Removed font color

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,020 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

Have the URIs changed in the 'redesign'?

Do you have redirects in place?

Surely if impressions go up, traffic cannot go down?).

All depends on what you use for monitoring the traffic.

#3 mja1906

mja1906

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yes, I believe there are redirects in place. I'm using google webmaster tools and analytics

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Surely if impressions go up, traffic cannot go down?).

If impressions go up, traffic (assuming you're referring to traffic from organic search) is likely to go up, but not necessarily. Maybe the search engine is displaying a snippet from your page that does a poor job of getting people to click through. Maybe your competitors' results are more appealing than yours because something changed for them. Maybe your average ranking has dropped enough that while you're still getting the impression, you're appearing below the fold and people are clicking through to other results before they scroll down far enough to see yours. Or your page is getting more impressions because changes to Google's algorithm are causing it to be returned for searches that the page doesn't look particularly relevant to when searchers see it in the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!