• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Add To The List: Ways To Minimize Copyright Theft... (And Loss Of Seo)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

OK, I thought I'd share my 5 simple ways to prevent copyright theft, i.e. people just scraping content and re-publishing it with no link back or credit.

It would be great if other folk could add to this list - I'm interested to see how I can firm up content theft or at least rememdiate its' impact on SEO...

1. Use Google Author - I am pretty sure that Google attributes the post/ content to your G+ Account, and you as an individual.
2. Write in a way that is clearly connected to your brand so that it looks odd on another site.
3. Place several internal links (using full path of course) to other pages on your site so that if the mark-up is stolen that will likely leave the links in tact.
4. Slightly controversial but I'd suggest that it is a good thing to allow hotlinking of images. One of my posts has been scraped and re-published at least 10 times and they all hotlinked my images. So, I added text to my images that read "For an updated version of this post this - my site!" (Better than nothing right?)
5. Use Google Alerts

• Mikl likes this

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

One caveat to #3: don't overdo it. A site I do a little work for got in trouble for unnatural link building, and during the reconsideration process, Google sent us some examples of spammy links. It turned out quite a few of them are republished articles from our site that have a lot of links to other pages on the site -- a LOT of them.

I pointed this out to the people who work on the site full-time and one of them told me it was a WordPress plugin that creates these links when an article is republished. It's not. Once I decided trusting this guy's word wasn't so smart, I checked the original versions of the articles, and the links are there on our version too. (It may be that he just misunderstood how the plugin works, and that it generates these links when the article is published rather than when it's republished.)

On our site, these links are potentially useful to the reader, but they do feel like we've kind of taken the practice a bit far. We're talking about links, sometimes multiple links, in nearly every sentence. On another site, they look like pure spam.

The site was already in trouble for having a bad backlink profile, so it's possible that Google wouldn't have had an issue with links like these had it not been for the presence of lots of other bad links, but I honestly can't blame Google for interpreting these as bad too.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Good suggestions, Lister, and thanks for posting them.

I'm not convinced by #1 and #2. The sort of person who mindlessly copies material from other sites isn't going to worry if the text looks a little odd, or even if it is identified as belonging to a particular author. (I've had articles stolen that not only included my by-line, but also incorporated discreet adverts for my company's service. The thief didn't have the good sense to remove these.)

#4 sounds promising. I might try it on a small scale to see the effect.

Mike

#4 sharonwss

sharonwss

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:45 AM

Good suggestions, however having Google author or writing way (Points 1 and 2) does not provide any copyright or content theft protection to the owner. It is a way to increase your SEO effort in Google. In order to protect your content from getting into wrong hands like spammers or scrapers, one need to apply some preventive measures like using captcha, restricting download or content editing, using Google alerts, using some preventive software or services in your website. One needs to be proactive when we talk about online content theft prevention.

Edited by Jill, 20 January 2014 - 09:25 AM.
Removed names of services

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!