• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

On-Site Issues Causing Loss Of Inner Page Ranks?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BOTSchool

BOTSchool

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hello all!

Let me give you a little background on my site history first. On Oct. 5 2012 my original site was hit by the first google penguin implementation and lost virtually all of its organic from google over the next few months. So, I took a domain which I had purchased at the same time and with a name in the same niche, but had never done anything with and I moved some of my best content from the original site to this new site. I then 301 redirected the old pages on the old site to the new pages on the new site. This worked for awhile, mostly anyway. However, as you might be guessing, eventually these rankings tanked too.

That was a bit over a year ago. At that point I basically quit working altogether due to some severe health issues. But I kept paying hosting etc. to at least maintain the sites presences in case I got a chance to go back to it. Fast forward to not quite 3 months ago, mid-Nov. of last year. I was finally able to get back to work and have been working on recovering site #2 ever since.

The first thing I did was remove the redirects and any other connections between the original, penguin penalized site and the new site (also now penguin penalized from the redirects I guess? I dunno tbh). Since then I have concentrated on putting out lots of new, high-quality, original content and working on acquiring only decent quality or better backlinks from mostly relevant, non-spammy domains. Fast forward again to the present day.

At this point my backlink profile is definitely superior to all but a couple of the largest, highest quality authority sites in this niche. Yet in the rankings I still get slaughtered by sites with unbelievably spammy backlink profiles, or in many cases hardly any backlink profiles at all! Google does seem to like my homepage and rate it as a high-quality source but that's it. Either my home page ranks for the search or nothing does. In some cases a /tag/ page will rank or even a page largely unrelated to the kw phrase. But NEVER the actual inner page which is targeting the kw phrase. No matter how uncompetitive it is. Heck, sometimes the backlinks to the page will outrank the page itself if they are high-quality backlinks and it is a low comp. kw phrase. Frustrating.

And then yesterday I did a little messing around and found this (the reason why I am here now posting this).

Not only do my inner pages just not rank in a general search but when I do a specialized search using:

site:www.mysite.com "keyword phrase"

The results which come up are just as bad as with a general search. In other words, the home page or a /tag/ page or whatever will outrank the inner page and even worse, in many cases that inner page doesn't even show up in those search results at all! They are indexed though. You can get them to show by going to the end of the search results and clicking on the "see more results like these" option but that is usually the only way you are going to find those pages.

What could possibly be causing something like this? It's obviously not just a matter of my competition because even when confining the search to my own site the rankings are still all whacked out. I have to admit I am just completely stumped and discouraged at this point. If I could hire a professional I would in a heartbeat because this used to be very profitable ($15-20k month at its peak) but with current revenue closer to zero...I just can't do it right now and am simply on my own here. My only hope is communities like these and my own time and dedication to the job.

I very much appreciate any insights or ideas you might have regarding my problem. Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Curtis

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,170 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

If you redirect URLs that really do have a genuine penalty applied, you redirect the penalty as well.

Being hit by Google updates usually just means that you have been following the crappy SEO "advice" from "experts" and 'optimising' for search engines and rankings, rather than optimising for humans and conversions.

#3 BOTSchool

BOTSchool

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

"Being hit by Google updates usually just means that you have been following the crappy SEO "advice" from "experts" and 'optimising' for search engines and rankings, rather than optimising for humans and conversions."

Yes indeed. However, that is what I said myself in my original post above. The question is not what was done wrong in the past, I know the answer to that question. I even tried to list as much of it as possible in the OP. The question is: can it be recovered and how?

As I said yesterday I have been at it for over two months now with no recognition by google that anything has changed so I am starting to think that once you've been "marked" you might as well shut down and start over. I guess I was just still hoping that this extreme action could be avoided. We've definitely been snowy white since getting back to work in November so the goog certainly can't find any fault there. I'm just surprised that the algo or whatever seems to hold a grudge based on that not so snowy white history. 

I understand, however, that most likely nobody here can help me but I figured it was at least worth a shot since I don't really have any other options besides self-learning and doing the work myself. I just can't for the life of me identify the problem, which obviously makes it very difficult to fix.

Cheers!

Curtis

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,040 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

From your description, my guess would be that you have a duplicate content problem.

Or you may be inadvertently blocking the robots from properly indexing your pages.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,170 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

The question is: can it be recovered and how?

And the only answer at this point is .... Possibly.

Then only way to know what is needed to recover and how best to implement it is to have the site and it's history reviewed by a professional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!