• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Did I Get Ripped Off For Seo Work?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vaporwholesales

vaporwholesales

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

I tried to hire a guy from india because it was cheap, and I feel like I did a lot of research into the guy. He had good feedback.

He sends me a report, and literally he just is replying to articles and stuff with some description I had on my website. Literally just copy and pasting it over and over.

This cant be good??

What do I do? Here are some examples

Links removed

Edited by chrishirst, 08 January 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

Fire him of course. 

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

This cant be good??

You are absolutely 100% correct on that.

I tried to hire a guy from india because it was cheap

The adage is .... You get what you pay for.

and the rider to that is

"Then you pay for what you get."

He had good feedback.

Probably from people who didn't have the good fortune to find a forum where we talk about REAL SEO not the myths and legends of the days of yore.

Time to put "Google's disavow links" tool to serious use, before that crud starts to have a negative effect

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Good feedback from whom? It's not supposed to be that way but feedback is as much about marketing as about honesty. Anyone who knows about statistics knows that marketers have the ability to pick and choose and creatively interpret the statistics they want to present.

Testimonials, good testimonials, sound nice but this can be another ploy to convince the unsuspecting buyer of work quality. So you put up a testimonial page on your website - are you going to publish all the testimonials in particular the negative ones?

Reviews/testimonials are not easy to obtain, particularly testimonials. You have to hunt them down and pave the path with Gold to obtain the comments.  Do your "obtain testimonials" plan include chasing down the folks who hate your guts becuse you screwed up?

Some third party sources attempt to authenticate reviews better than others. I did a lot of research into Google reviews and local search. Say you wish to obtain 10 reviews so I talk to a bunch of friends and convince them to join Google Plus to submit reviews. You now have 10 reviews, but find that they care little weight.  Why?

The reviewers have no history, no track record, maybe a very incomplete profile, no picture etc. Google uses these and other factors to weigh review authenticity. It's not perfect but it gets you closer.

Find a way to qualify the reviewer.

So you hired a firm from a foreign country that probably participates in spamming techniques to get the word out. They have a firm of 140 web professionals working for them (or so) who are experts in the field, according to them, and work for next to nothing. They contact you through email, don't address you by name, mention that your keywords are not performing well, provide no evidence that have ever even visited your website and in their email signature they declare that the message is not spam and they are against spamming of any kind.

Sound familiar? In my blog I have categories dedicated to scams and spam.  The good thing about spam is that it provides slam dunk content for my blog.

#5 vaporwholesales

vaporwholesales

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Yeah I called him out and said I was not releasing the funds through freelancer.

Hes giving me the round about. Fortunately for me, my friends job is literally the head seo guy for a criminal defense law firm in phoenix.... Pretty decent keywords to rank for.

He caught wind I was doing a website, and he was saying its so bad hes going to take 2-3 hours out of his day to sit down with me and give me the 101, because he said if I can start my own business I can do my own SEO.

He only did like 10 links for 3 keywords. Honestly 1-2 of the links don't look half bad. They still PR 0, but you can tell its somewhat of a real blog and has a real website.

Hes still spamming though, my friend said since its a new site it shouldn't hurt me, and especially if he didn't go overboard on the spamming and stopped at the first report.

I cant not release the funds and leave bad feedback because of course hes threatening to get my website banned by spamming the **** out of it. My friend said best thing to do is tell him to fly a kite respectfully and take that money and use it as a tax right off and just dont leave any feedback, because the $250 isn't worth loosing your website.

Can he still do some onsite seo though? My friend said Ill have to re do it all eventually, but at least make this scam artist work for something? I dont care if I have to re do it later as long as he worked for something.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I cant not release the funds and leave bad feedback because of course hes threatening to get my website banned by spamming the **** out of it. My friend said best thing to do is tell him to fly a kite respectfully and take that money and use it as a tax right off and just dont leave any feedback, because the $250 isn't worth loosing your website.

If the freelancer spams your site you can file a reconsideration request with the search engines, explaining what you have explained here, and disavow the links.

#7 vaporwholesales

vaporwholesales

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

If the freelancer spams your site you can file a reconsideration request with the search engines, explaining what you have explained here, and disavow the links.

Ok... Honestly for $250 its worth it to me to just not start a war. I hired him in december, and the tax right off and the lesson well learned I say was kinda worth the money to be optimistic.

Im more concerned about the damage he did. Is 10 links for each keyword even worth removing?

#8 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

You mentioned something about not releasing funds through "freelancer". Is "freelancer" some sort of intermediary through whom you arranged this contract? If so, then you definitely ought to report him to their abuse team. If he really is threatening to get your website banned because of your non-payment, that amounts to extortion. I feel sure the intermediary would want to know about that, and that they would take action against him.

Whether he would succeed in damaging your site is a different issue. And, by all means, pay him the $250 if you feel it's worth it to avoid any hassle. My point is that you should report him in any case, if only to protect other people who might fall victim to him in future.

Mike

• Jill likes this

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

I agree with Mikl. One of the selling points of those intermediary channels is that they help resolve issues such as this. They make sure neither freelancers nor clients get ripped off. It sounds to me as though this "SEO" knows his work is sub-par, so he doesn't want to go through channels. He knows he'd come off badly in any such resolution. He's hoping you'll just cave in and pay to avoid the hassles -- leaving him free to take advantage of even more people.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#10 vaporwholesales

vaporwholesales

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yes google freelancer you'll see. I cant enter the link. Its like ebay, but for outsourcing any type of tedious work. I trusted it because my website was built from here at a fraction of the cost from any american. Hes a hard worker and goes above and beyond. 

Where can I report him spamming my site, and how will I even know hes doing it? If he never gives me links how would I know?

Sorry if these are really obvious questions, but im only on page 20/106 of my first "how to seo" book and the basics, intermediate, and advanced of webmaster tools how to. Trying to teach myself since I can't seem to find anyone to do it right.  :dancer:

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Assuming you are talking about freelancer.com, it is packed to the gills with clueless SEO "experts", and getting a website built is one thing, good marketing is another. You can find many of the Freelancer SEO "experts" asking very basic questions at the forum after they win a bid then have to find out how to do the job.

#12 vaporwholesales

vaporwholesales

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Interesting... I honestly went with trying them because I did ask here about outsourcing to india and the answer I got was its safe if you find the right person. Considering I order stuff from china, Im used to dealing with foreign risk and went for it. Can't win them all I guess.

So my question, does that site even produce quality seo work?? Obviously I'm not going to take a bid for $250 again, but say if there are people working for say $400, would that be reasonable. The highest searched keyword I would be going for is hookah pen, which allintite: says 46,000. More specific terms around the 8,000-12,000 range. 

Even guys I have talked to in america its all the same spin off bs. Im so lost where to get quality work besides doing it on my own.

Interesting... I honestly went with trying them because I did ask here about outsourcing to india and the answer I got was its safe if you find the right person. Considering I order stuff from china, Im used to dealing with foreign risk and went for it. Can't win them all I guess.

So my question, does that site even produce quality seo work?? Obviously I'm not going to take a bid for $250 again, but say if there are people working for say $400, would that be reasonable. The highest searched keyword I would be going for is hookah pen, which allintite: says 46,000. More specific terms around the 8,000-12,000 range. 

Even guys I have talked to in america its all the same spin off bs. Im so lost where to get quality work without spending a fortune besides doing it on my own.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

I would be surprised if you could find anyone good on Freelancer or for $400. SEO isn't cheap and the good ones are all too busy to be looking for work at Freelancer.

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Buying a physical product from overseas is relatively easy, you either get the products as described or you don't and you have a legitimate claim against the supplier. Same with website design and development. SEO is intangible and no one who is worth the money will make you any promises or guarantee.

The people to deal with are ones who are 100% upfront with you and tell you what they intend to do for and on your documents, (all of them not just the 'home' page), before you part with any money.

#15 vaporwholesales

vaporwholesales

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Ok so after some time and learning more about SEO the more I realized I can void these links if I really try, and possibly contact google explaining the situation.

I opened a case with freelancer and sent them the skype conversations of his threats.

He emails me again flipping out saying hes going to ban the site again and that I dont know what IM talking about and if I dont close the case now hes going to start doing it. I told him to go for it, because then I have more evidence against you.

I have been contemplating changing my domain name for multiple reasons. SO he'll only give me a reason to do so if I have to change the domain name.

After he learned i dont care about his spamming and I know how to remove it anyways and kept explaining hes only burying himself into a hole because Im sending all this to freelancer.

He finally agreed to give me half my money back which is all I want, but says he cant afford it now, and still wants me to close case...

Im keeping it open, and im blowing this guys feedback up. Its one thing if he was nice about it and just didnt be a POS, but he needs exposed. 

Changing domains will reverse any of the crap effects hes done? But honestly I now don't think hes going to do it.

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!