• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Server 500 Error Getting Linked To And Google Trying To Index It

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cadam

Cadam

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Looking to understand in realistic terms the effect of Server 500 errors.

I have an issue where somehow Google is trying to index my /server-error/ page. This page returns a 500 error code, and as a result Google gives me an alert in WMT that it encountered a server error when trying to access this page. Googlebot is finding a link to this page because with the old on page search function it got picked up on and occasionally appeared in some results. My developer has since used robots.txt to block search results but Google still has some search results pages cached in it’s index and the CMS still has the function to render these pages with the request URL, despite the search function being changed and now blocked by robots.txt. I can’t get my developer back for a week on this.

My Questions

Can a small amount of 500 errors effect a site’s overall performance when the rest of the pages are OK?

Should I just keep clicking ‘fixed’ next to this error in google webmaster tools until it deindexes it’s cache of old on site search results?

With a retail website of around 2,500 pages what is the overall effect on the rest of the site if seemingly 1 of those pages is returning a 500 error because of this problem?

Any other ideas?

By the way, have a great 2014 everyone!

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

The robots.txt fix should work eventually. Use WMT's "Fetch as Googlebot" function to check that it has been implemented correctly - if it has then you don't need your developer to do any more.

In the meantime, yes, keep clicking away on "Fixed".

Happy New Year. :)

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,771 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Can a small amount of 500 errors effect a site’s overall performance when the rest of the pages are OK?

With respect to Search and search engines .... Not even slightly. (Unless that particular URL just happens to be the only way into the structure for crawlers of course).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!