• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Poor Ranking Or Wrong Page Indexed For Established Site

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boldhardware

boldhardware

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

In March of 2013 we deployed a completely new website on our domain, [removed]. The old site was relatively well received by google and we had achieved a #1 ranking for our main keyword "drawer slides" and top 3 rankings for many important keywords for our industry. We held those positions for a few years. We thought that we had done a pretty damn good job, of SEO, for the new site. We 301 redirected all of links from the old URL's to the new URL's and spent considerable time ensuring canonical links were in place and working properly. Shortly after launch google slammed our organic links and dropped them, considerably. Over the last 9 months we've seen some recovery until last month when we fell off again. Now, we rank for almost nothing except crappy, obscure long tail keywords. In addition, the wrong pages are showing up for ALL of our queries. We used to rank on the 5th page(down from 1st position) for "drawer slides" but it was never for our home page or "drawer slides" category, which are the obvious choices. We've always ranked in the top 3 for "heavy duty drawer slides" now we rank on the 5th page and google has chosen "self closing drawer slides" instead of our "heavy duty drawer slides" category. As you can imagine this has decimated our organic sales. 

I'm honestly perplexed. I have absolutely no idea what google wants from us but, it's apparent, that we're doing something wrong.

Edited by Jill, 27 December 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Sounds like you need to hire a qualified SEO professional to help you sort this all out.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have absolutely no idea what google wants from us but

Simple!

Google wants from you what Google has ALWAYS wanted from you (and everyone else)

Great [preferably unique], Interesting and useful content, written FOR users not search engines and promoted TO users not search engines.

SEO professional to help you sort this all out.

Yep a professional,  definitely NOT an "expert".

#4 GregB123

GregB123

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hello Boldhardware,

Your company has had a terrible experience. Being in ecommerce myself, I feel for you.  

Couple of questions that come to mind are:

1) did you change the domain name? If you purchased the new domain name, did it have a penalized history?

2) are you sure that your "robots" file is not preventing the search engines from indexing your site?

3) are you sure your redirects are 301s and not 302s?

4) the site I looked at took a LONG time to load. Could that be the problem?

5) the product pages I looked at very little text. Did your old pages have more text?

Let us know...

(and best wishes for better results in 2014)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!