• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Why Such A High-Ranking?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ironside

Ironside

Not Ranked

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

There doesn't appear to be a category for my questions so I'll put it here, I'm sure someone will move it if necessary.

Anyway, I started a website a few months ago, probably no more than six months ago. I decided to check the Google page rank today and I was pretty astounded to see it had a rank of 4. I have checked how me back links the site has and it appears to be around 99. Most of them seem to be coming from my personal website which also has a rank of 4, there is a link on the home page and it looks as though there may be some links contained in my blog. So, how has this happened? My first thought was maybe a very high ranking website has put a link to mine on their site, but I can't find any proof of this. How on earth did a website that is only a few months old managed to gain a page rank of 4. Two of my other websites have the same page rank, it's taken almost 6 years for them to get this ranking and they have 100 times more relevant content, just does not make sense.

I would be interested to know if anyone has a theory on how this has happened?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

Are you talking about PageRank? And more specifically "toolbar PageRank"?

If so, it's not really an indication of much. 

Did your PR4 provide you with additional targeted traffic?

#3 Ironside

Ironside

Not Ranked

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Are you talking about PageRank? And more specifically "toolbar PageRank"?

If so, it's not really an indication of much. 

Did your PR4 provide you with additional targeted traffic?

Yes,Page rank. I've checked it on various websites and I've now installed the toolbar into chrome and it says I have a page rank of 4. The website is also a ranking fairly highly for various keywords that I would consider to be extremely relevant. In fact one or two ranked at number one on Google.co.uk. The website is a.co.uk site so it's not showing them that well on the Google.com. But that is to be expected.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,672 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

http://www.highranki...gs-dont-matter/

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Page rank is where you think a page ranks in the search engines for a given term  PageRank is a factor of the number and quality of the links pointing to the page. Neither can be effectively measured, and therefore have no real meaning for your SEO work. 

#6 Ironside

Ironside

Not Ranked

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

My original question was really to ask you guys how such a young website with very few back links and just one page of content could possibly have gained this level of rank. any information you read regarding page rank points directly towards obtaining quality back links. I'm aware that even one or two good quality back links could make a big difference to your page rank, however this website doesn't have these links, apart from one of 4.

I agree that page rank does not directly relate to the Webmasters SEO, it's just the fact that you may get lucky and find somebody linking to you from a high-ranking site which will automatically give you some rank. I have found that nearly all websites I have built and linked directly back to my main website that has a rank of four have themselves eventually came the rank of three. So in theory, a badly designed website with rubbish content could still have high page rank if it's got high quality links pointing to it, for whatever strange reason this would happen.

Thanks for enlightening information, just goes to show that all is not always straightforward

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,864 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

It's probably just a broken PageRank toolbar.

#8 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

My original question was really to ask you guys how such a young website with very few back links and just one page of content could possibly have gained this level of rank. - Emphasis added

I can't add much to the advice you've already been given, except to say that the number of pages is pretty irrelevant. The point is that each page ranks in its own right. In other words, the ranking attaches to the page, not to the site as a whole.

Mike

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,672 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

My original question was really to ask you guys how such a young website with very few back links and just one page of content could possibly have gained this level of rank.

A: You have absolutely no idea how many "back links" are pointing to that URL

B: Newly indexed URLs have ALWAYS appeared high in search results.

any information you read regarding page rank points directly towards obtaining quality back links.

And 99.999% of that information will be complete and total garbage.

So in theory, a badly designed website with rubbish content could still have high page rank if it's got high quality links pointing to it, for whatever strange reason this would happen.

Design and content have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all to do with "PageRank".

#10 Ironside

Ironside

Not Ranked

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

It's probably just a broken PageRank toolbar.

The website name eludes me, but I detect an online resource and I have 99 back links. This also corresponds to [removed] which sells weight exactly the same thing, as well as page rank which also corresponds to the toolbar ranking.

Of course design has nothing to do with page rank, I know that. What I was saying was you could design the worst looking website in the world, but if you have several very high-ranking websites linking to you the chances are you are going to have high page rank, that was just what I was trying to put across. However, it's pretty pointless having very high page rank if you're on the 10th page of Google.

And yes, it is the site domain that has the ranking of four.

For a dating website that is in its earliest infancy, I think I'm doing fairly well getting to the first five on the first page of Google with several high-ranking keywords, and long may it last.

Edited by Jill, 28 December 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,672 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

For a dating website that is in its earliest infancy, I think I'm doing fairly well getting to the first five on the first page of Google with several high-ranking keywords, and long may it last.

Usually it's two, maybe three weeks, a month at the outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!