• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Isn't My Content Producing The Same Google Seo Results As It D

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ognam

ognam

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

I have a serious question for anyone with more knowledge on SEO than myself.

I had a website that was getting 150 hits a day, mostly in organic traffic. It was all unique content that I had written.

I took the website down and then put up a different website in July, re-posting all my previous content with the exact same tags, meta descriptions, etc. that had earned me the SEO for the first site.

These articles have been up for a couple of months now and I have almost NO SEO traffic from them.

Shouldn't there be results by now?

Google would not register it as duplicate material if the original website was taken down, correct? I really hope not!

I just want to know why my unique content is not producing the same results on this second website. What do I need to do differently from here? I don't want my new website to be penalized and I'm not sure why I'm invisible to the spiders when I was so successful before.

Thanks to anyone who can give me a real answer!

Edited by chrishirst, 26 December 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Did you set up 301 redirects from the old URLs to the new ones?

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

If you are going to copy and paste from DP ... PLEASE remove the adverts first.

Simple: If you DID NOT redirect the old URLs it is going to take the same length of time as it did for the original URLs took to get results, or LONGER.

Google would not register it as duplicate material if the original website was taken down, correct? I really hope not!

If you have not "told" search engines that it has moved, it IS going to be an EXACT duplicate of content they already have indexed.

I just want to know why my unique content is not producing the same results on this second website.

To the SE index, ... it is NOT unique anymore.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Make sure you're not blocking robots.

Make sure your navigation is configured for the new site.

#5 ognam

ognam

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

I did not redirect from the old URL because the old URL no longer exists.

How do I "tell" search engines that the old website is no longer and that the content is on a new website now?

Thanks so much for your help!

[added]

I have researched now the 301 redirects and how to tell Google of the change of address. I can see that I did it completely wrong when I moved it. :(

My question is, what can I do now that the damage is done? The original website no longer exists at all. Is there a way I can tell the search engines after the fact?

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:56 AM

if you still have the same domain you can set up the redirects at any time.

if you changed domains but still control the old one then you can still set up the redirects but it will take a little extra effort.

if you no longer have the old domain but can get it back, then it may be worth doing.

if you no longer have the old domain and cannot get it back then it's time to stop kicking yourself and move on.

#7 ognam

ognam

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Unfortunately, it's this last option: if you no longer have the old domain and cannot get it back then it's time to stop kicking yourself and move on.

Someone snatched up the old domain.

So basically, my new question is, should I abandon all of this content? Does it hurt my standing in Google to use it, or is there still some way to recycle it since it is technically not up online anywhere?

Thanks so much for your help. This was years and years of unique written material by me and I have certainly learn a valuable and difficult lesson. Aghhhhhhhh!

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Someone snatched up the old domain.

So they may now get any benefit that had been accrued.

or is there still some way to recycle it since it is technically not up online anywhere?

That all depends upon on what the new domain owner does.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

You can still use your content from the other site. Be sure to look into Rel=Author and set your new domain and yourself as the author of the content. That might help a bit at least. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!