• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Singular Vs Plural Domain Names For Ecommerce

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Calven

Calven

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

After some research I have found that ecommerce based websites should almost always use the plural forms of domain names. The pural name already includes the singular version (although this seems to work both ways?) and is geared more towards people with a shopping mindset. Do people agree to this?

Here is my situation...I own GarageDoorBracket.com and GarageDoorBrackets.com - using the Google Keyword Tool I found the following results.

GarageDoorBracket.com  - 320 monthly searches

GarageDoorBrackets.com - 110 monthly searches

Both have a similar suggest adsense bid and competition level. Based on this, would I be better off using the singular version for my ecommerce site instead of the plural version like most of the domain authority people say. I know I am being "picky" and that if I build a great website it probably won't matter in the end, but I would rather just pick the best option from the beginning.

I have also noticed that the Google search auto-complete tool has the singular version popping up. This seems to penalize the plural versions...?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,517 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Unless you are using the URL in a Adwords campaign as a "landing page" to improve your "Quality Score" it makes ABSOLUTELY no difference whatsoever.

This seems to penalize the plural versions

Not even close to anything factual.

Edited by chrishirst, 21 December 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,190 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes. None of what you're worrying about matters in the scheme of things.

#4 Calven

Calven

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Unless you are using the URL in a Adwords campaign as a "landing page" to improve your "Quality Score" it makes ABSOLUTELY no difference whatsoever.

Not even close to anything factual.

Please explain this. When someone has a  bracket break on their garage door and searches google for a place to purchase a new bracket they start typing
"garage door brac...." and google automatically has "garage door bracket" already spelled out for them to click on. The plural version garage door bracketS doesn't even show up.

You are saying this isnt relevant?

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,671 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

When someone starts typing "garage door bracket" into the search box, one thing Google probably doesn't suggest is "garagedoorbracket."

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,517 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

You are saying this isnt relevant?

Yes.

#7 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

The domain name is this side of irrelevant as compared to what you have done to the website and other marketing-related factors. The average person does not search for a service by looking for the domain name.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,671 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

And I don't think that a site that's branded as the name of a single product inspires confidence in searchers, even if they're searching for that single product. If I'm running low on monitor wipes, I'll run a search for [monitor wipes], but I'm going to be drawn to a site that sells office supplies or computer accessories, not something like monitorwipes.com, the site of MonitorWipes.com (great company name), "your destination for monitor wipes and all things monitor-wipey, since 2013."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!