• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Joining Words For Branding Purposes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TeaQueue

TeaQueue

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hi all. 

I have a client who's a charity dealing with aged care. Through a branding exercise, they've started joining words together as service offerings.

ie

'HomeCare' instead of 'Home Care'.

'CommunityCentre' instead of Community Centre.

I want to know if this is going to affect search engine rankings.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

When I do a search for "home care" (no quotes) many listings come up with "homecare" so apparently it doesn't make much of a difference.

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

It may not make much difference in SEO, however from a readability perspective you're changing the context of the language to your own variation and that 'may' cause a few raised eyebrows with the visitors.

There are expressions that are fairly interchangable, no 100% authoritative standard, like 'website' and 'web site', although website seems to be more widely accepted. However unless your expressions don't fall in this lot I'd avoid them.

Myself, I've never seen Community Center joined into a single word - and - centre is spelled center in the states. Home care seems to go both ways, as well as home-care.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

It may lead to some interesting competition with search engine rankings as there are indeed already some branded uses of "communitycenter" (I did not check "homecare"). One of the brands is a United Nations service.

This is probably not the best marketing strategy they could follow, but consider my criticism as weak because I really don't know much about who your client is or what they are trying to accomplish. Maybe it's the best possible plan.

#5 TeaQueue

TeaQueue

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

Wow, this is a good forum!

I Australia, there's a big shakeup happening for this particular industry and so there's a potential to have some ownership of the new terms.

The 'website' 'web site' example is quite accurate because my version of Word still spellcheck corrects website, even though it's certainly the accepted norm. Changing a service offering from a verb to a noun 'objectifies' the service - makes it feel more like a marketable product.

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate the expertise. 

I'll be back to contribute where I can!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!