• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Order Of Key Words

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JPDM

JPDM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

I apologize if my question is too basic but I am a business owner trying to figure things out. This place seems to be a good ^lace to get answers.

We I google "China train tickets", we appear on the second page of results. But if I search "Train tickets China" we are nowhere to be seen (I stopped looking after page 5). 

Why does the order matter when using the same key words in both searches? What can I do about it.

Thanks to all for helping an amateur!

• mattylad likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

Because they ARE different.

Search result algorithms have to decide what a query actually means and what the user is actually looking for.

"China train tickets" could be taken literally as (Train tickets [made in] China). or (Train tickets [made of] China)

while

"Train tickets China" could be (Train tickets [in] China), (Train tickets [to] China)
or (Train tickets [for] China)

Edited by chrishirst, 14 December 2013 - 10:46 AM.

• mattylad likes this

#3 JPDM

JPDM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ok. Makes sense. So I need not only worry about key words in my website, I also need to pay attention to expressions.

Thanks.

• mattylad likes this

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

So I need not only worry about key words in my website, I also need to pay attention to expressions.

Thanks.

Neither,

Have content that makes sense to USERS not search engines.

• mattylad likes this

#5 JPDM

JPDM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I am surprised to see so many websites dedicated to SEO and so many books on the subject when one only needs to have content that makes sense to users.

Our business is doing quite well. We have nothing but excellent reviews from specialized websites and we are the one that people refer readers to the most in discussion forums. Most of times we are the only one suggested by participants. We get 100% of our business through these referrals.  Was just wondering why we do not show up at all in a google search while showing ok with the same words in another order.

• mattylad likes this

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

We get 100% of our business through these referrals

That is absolutely NOT a good place to be in.

Was just wondering why we do not show up at all in a google search while showing ok with the same words in another order.

Because "rankings" are like that, and here is why you shouldn't care about it.

#7 JPDM

JPDM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Wow so you say that I should close my business. I should avoid all those travel forums that generate 100% of my business then bringing my business down to zero? Since leaving my marketing management job at at large US multinational, my income multiplied by 4 with this business, in the first year. So I guess I will not follow your advice.

Sorry to bother you guys. Seems I came to the wrong place for advice on improving my website.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

No, I'm saying that you should have MORE than one source of business income, otherwise your next question here will be asking how you can get your "traffic" back before your business goes bust!!

Oh and just because you don't like the answer, ... Doesn't mean it is wrong.

#9 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:52 AM

I would have thought getting a high percentage of your business through referrals was an excellent place to be in. OK, not 100% perhaps. You don't want all your eggs in any one basket. But if you are getting a very large number of referrals, it means that you are succeeding in providing your customers with what they want, rather than merely being good at advertising or selling or SEO.

Mike

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

Even a high percentage of all your traffic leaves the site earning potential vulnerable to the wiles and whims of a search engine algorithm. The highest percentage of any converting traffic should be one that you are in control of and if other sources "glitch out" for any reason, the reliable source can be 'ramped up' temporarily or permanently to compensate.

'Organic' Search traffic should be the gravy to go with the "meat and two veg" it should never be providing the meat, veg and the cutlery.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Even a high percentage of all your traffic leaves the site earning potential vulnerable to the wiles and whims of a search engine algorithm.

But he/she isn't. The traffic business is from referrals. 

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,018 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Aha! Yep sorry it failed to click that the thread had gone off at a tangent from the original topic of search phrases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!