• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bing & Google Map Links On Homepage?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Donkies11

Donkies11

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hello Forum,

An associate once told me that by linking (yes, just a link) to Google Maps on the homepage of a site he noticed that his SEO legitimately improved with Google search rankings.

I have had it implimented for a couple of years and it does seem to help; which means it is noticed by Google.

Now I'd like to add a link to Bing Maps for the same potential. However, I'm wondering if Google and Bing will play fairly together.

Has any testing been done to see if one of them drop rankings when the other is noted on a page?

TIA,

Greg

PS. We have an excellent ranking with Google in a competive area. I'd hate to lose the many years of work that has gone into this ranking - so I am moving slowly. gw

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

Do you mean just a link to maps.google.com, or a link to a map showing some particular location -- like the location of the business that runs the site? I don't see any reason to think either would help, but I suppose the specific link would have some value to users, albeit not as much as seeing the actual map on the page.

I remember reading many years ago a recommendation that any SEO site should link to Google's home page. I don't think there was any reason to believe that helped either.

If you do something, and your traffic improves, that doesn't necessarily mean that the thing you did caused your traffic to improve. It's like those stories about athletes who have a good day, so they don't change their socks for weeks. Obviously, the socks are lucky and washing them could wash out the luck :)

• Michael Martinez likes this

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Qwerty, you don't mean to tell me you stopped keeping a cabbage on your monitor to maintain your rankings, did you?

--Torka :oldfogey:

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

No, of course I do that. It's not a superstition if it works. It's become a little more complicated over the years, since it's tough to balance the cabbage on a flat screen. I had to create a shelf that sits on top of the monitor. And sometimes I get home from work and find that my cat has knocked it over, but I've discovered that if you flush a clove of garlic down the toilet, that usually counteracts the bad effects of a fallen cabbage.

• torka likes this

#5 Donkies11

Donkies11

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Okay, vegitation aside :jester: , the link points to their address on the Google Map:

http://goo.gl/maps/ThZbl

Now, the person who passed on this information experienced real results (in his opinion of course). And, again, our results are very positive - and we've seen recent traction with adding a Google+ "badge" to the homepage. We'd dropped off the 1st page results - and quickly got back to "top 5" after doing the Google+ work.

The above has me believing that it is true - Google "likes" to see Google resources on sites. Now, this could be, as suggested, a belief built upon coincidence...

However, I still wonder... has anyone checked out placing both Bing & Google resources/links/content on a page and checked results for them playing well together?

Sincerely,

Greg

...now, where did i put my monitor cabbage. :ohno:

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

However, I still wonder... has anyone checked out placing both Bing & Google resources/links/content on a page and checked results for them playing well together?

You'd have better luck with the cabbage. 

#7 Donkies11

Donkies11

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

hmmm... you just seem to be insistent on ignoring some factors

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,674 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

No, it's more that you are focussed on minutiae.

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

We just don't see a reason to believe it, despite your perceived correlation between the link and traffic.

Now, the Google+ badge, assuming it's linking to the verified profile page of the organization the site belongs to, is a different story. Google wants you to do that, and they tell you why:

They help Google consolidate +1's from your website and your Google+ page, and make your website eligible for Google+ Direct Connect.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Just as you are ignoring the power of the cabbage. It's the same thing. You're seeing an effect and misinterpreting the cause. 100% guaranteed. 

#11 Donkies11

Donkies11

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Just as you are ignoring the power of the cabbage. It's the same thing. You're seeing an effect and misinterpreting the cause. 100% guaranteed. 

I was hoping for a more scientific approach. When it was first reported that the earth revolved around the sun - it was met with the same resistance to the idea. I'm not saying I'm correct; I'm saying that my experience is worth experimentation from others. I was hoping this forum post would be a valuable exploration of SEO... And isn't "minutiae" the very practice that servers/creates good SEO results?

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

A more scientific approach is exactly what you need to be doing. Good job! Once you do that, you'll see the folly of assuming the cause and effect that you are assuming.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,674 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

And isn't "minutiae" the very practice that servers/creates good SEO results

Nope! While ever you are looking the "little things" that "experts" claim are the secret to success you are paying less attention to what really matters, certainly everything should be taken into account but real SEO means having a holistic viewpoint of the entire process, the "50,000 foot view". If the grass looks fine from the second floor, you don't need to be examining every single blade of grass for signs of improvement.

The minutiae is time consuming and not overly beneficial. If you only have a few websites and SEO is requiring an eighty plus hour week, you're doing something wrong. There are things that might only take an hour a day but will be of far more value than nine hours of "dofollow" link building  ever will.

• Jill likes this

#14 Donkies11

Donkies11

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

...that "experts" claim are the secret to success you are paying less attention to what really matters...

There are things that might only take an hour a day but will be of far more value than nine hours of "dofollow" link building  ever will.

OK - as you've stated, there is a lot of "expert" information and i've seen ideas rise and fall. Do you have a good resource for SEO practices that matter? I'm aware of alt tags, keywords in header tags, keywords in first paragraph - I think I have the elementary knowledge of SEO. I'm looking for real world practices that help one in a competitive world.

(I'll drop the map link on the homepage for now - though I do think it is worth exploring.)

My main reason for posting was to know if anyone had experience with placing BING and GOOGLE content on a page, like the Google+ badge, and finding that it had a negative affect. One diminished the "ranking/importance" of the page when seeing the competitor's content. And Bing and Google are competitors, right?

Isn't there some wisdom to believing they might not have 100% "ethical" business practices? (Or am I too paraniod?)

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,674 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'm aware of alt tags,

They are alt attributes not tags.

keywords in header tags,

Headings, headers are actually unseen messages between client browser and server.

keywords in first paragraph

Not even remotely important. That wasn't a "fact" when it was first bandied about 10 - 15 years ago and "positioning content" in the source code became the "experts" mantra.

I think I have the elementary knowledge of SEO

Well with all the best will in the world ... You haven't. What you have, is a lot of ancient nonesense that should have been long since buried and remained in the last century forgotten for ever.

I'm looking for real world practices that help one in a competitive world.

Fortunately THAT is exactly what High Rankings has always provided. With no pseudo scientic clap trap, no "magic formulae", no do x, y & z and  riches will be your reward thrown in, it is just common sense and solid advice.

Start by reading the Tips for new SEOs articles

And:

http://www.highranki...ight-places-316

http://www.highranki...seo-tactics-303

And all the other [url=http://www.highrankings.com/newsletter]High Rankings Advisor[/url] articles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!