• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bing Index And Serp Changes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FFjunkie

FFjunkie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Anyone else notice crazy Bing swings in terms of both rankings and indexes over the long holiday weekend?

Almost appears to me that they have wiped the vast majority of their index when not connected to a FB account. Seeing this across multiple sites and verticals, both national and local searches. Tested this across multiple sites:

Example 1:

Client Site

Signed In with FB Account: 1470 Indexed Pages

Not Signed In: 7 Pages

Competitor Site

Signed In with FB Account: 11 Pages

Signed Out: 0

Competitor Site 2

Signed In with FB Account: 14 Pages

Signed Out: 1

Example 2:

Client Site

Signed In with FB Account: 36 Indexed Pages

Not Signed In: 0 Pages

Competitor Site

Signed In with FB Account: 52 Pages

Signed Out: 1

I could go on with examples...wondering if anyone else has noticed this??

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,674 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Probably not because most of us around here already know that "rank checking"  is a waste of time and effort and will show different results each time you check. With or without a "FaceBook" account.

#3 FFjunkie

FFjunkie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

If you cared to read the post, it really has nothing to do with rankings, it's about indexing, which is in turn affecting rankings. However, I am glad to hear that the "most of us around here already know that "rank checking" is a waste of time and effort". Your response is enlightening and I thank you for your valuable insight.

Perhaps if you chose to test and verify my initial observation and then provide some input this forum wouldn't have died over the years...

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,674 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

The principle is EXACTLY the same. You are performing a search that results in a list  of URLs (SERP).

The mechanism that produces those results is no different to the mechanism that produces results for EVERY other kind of search. The initial command identifier (site:) simply applies a FILTER to the results,

Your query is STILL routed to a "least cost" location ( least cost in terms of network latency) that may or may not be up to date.

Your 'personalisation' filtering/skewing  still applies

And the idea that Bing somehow shows different results you are signed in to Facebook is a preposterous hypothesis.

Domain servers CANNOT read cookies or sessions from other domains, so unless you have allowed Bing to access your Facebook login and account details they don't even know that you have a FaceBook account, let alone whether you are logged in or not.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "when not connected to a FB account". I see sites in Bing (this morning, as I write this) that don't have any Facebook connections I am aware of.

I suppose if there are links on Facebook somewhere, Bing might be taking that into consideration.

They have always been pickier than Google about letting sites into their index, or staying there. In fact, a couple of years ago Duane Forrester mentioned at a conference that Bing will drop sites if no one clicks on them after a certain amount of time.

Search Engine Roundtable ran a story this morning that covers some Bing discussion. Apparently a number of people are seeing some activity at Bing this week.

#6 FFjunkie

FFjunkie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

The issue I outlined yesterday has been confirmed by others, but appears to be isolated. Did some additional digging this morning and it almost seems to be some kind of caching issue. Did a bit more digging and the only instance where I can even pull a full index is when I am signed into FB on Chrome. IE and FF are only using the limited index whether I am signed in or not.

Here's a screenshot of the Bing results for "christmas" in a Chrome incognito window, note it returns only 36 results. 

http://tinypic.com/r/116kys6/5

Here is the same search signed into my FB account using Chrome, which returns 313,000,000 results. 

http://tinypic.com/r/2qtlc8h/5

@chrishirst - i understand that the index will vary as well as ranking, but this is not minor variance.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

Sounds like you have a rogue adware plugin 

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

If the only thing you're concerned about is the change in the number of estimated results at the top of the page, that's a number you can safely ignore. It's a product of some weird math that really doesn't have anything to do with how much is actually indexed by the search engine.

Clicking deeper into the search results may produce different tails based on being logged in to Facebook or not, but most people don't look past the first SERP for a query anyway.

#9 FFjunkie

FFjunkie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Jill I've tested across multiple computers, and see the same results, so unless it's at the router or ISP level?? Ironically, i'm seeing the full index when testing on my phone (connected to WiFi), so would seem to kind of debunk the router as the root issue.

#10 FFjunkie

FFjunkie

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

@MichaelMartinez, I wouldn't be concerned if the number of results being shown didn't actually match up with the fact that a search for Christmas has only 3 pages of results...

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,674 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

but it does not come out easily from the web yet while you go search for download

In that case, how did you "find it"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!