• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Keep Google Out

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

I am starting a new newsletter and want to send a few links to articles when first signing up that only subscribers can view.

Is just including these links in the robots.txt file going to keep search engines out?  Or would it be better to give out a "Members Only" password. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

If you put the content on the Web, some crawler will find it and index it, regardless of what your robots.txt file says.

#3 lucardk

lucardk

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

The only way to hide something from google is to password protect it, the robots.txt will block most spiders but search engines do reserve the right to override it. 

I am starting a new newsletter and want to send a few links to articles when first signing up that only subscribers can view.

Is just including these links in the robots.txt file going to keep search engines out?  Or would it be better to give out a "Members Only" password. Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

The only way to hide something from google is to password protect it, the robots.txt will block most spiders but search engines do reserve the right to override it.

So how does a spider acces a password protected directory and retrieve the content to override your privacy ????

I've used Password protected directories as Client Admin and never had any problems with spiders or any other unwelcome visitors. Nor have I ever thougt it a remote possibility that any Spider would find it's way in.

#5 lucardk

lucardk

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Piskie.. there is a coma ( , ) check it out and read again... Of course that if it is password protected the spiders won't be able to access it. Next time I'll make sure to use a period ( . ) and a paragraph. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!