• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Directory Submissions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shamatae

Shamatae

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

Are directory submissions necessary anymore?  I've seen conflicting answers, including a "noodp" option on Blogger.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,580 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Some directories are still worthwhile, if they're niche-oriented and well-maintained. I don't bother with any general directories anymore, but that's partly because I no longer work on little sites that might benefit from a listing in a decent general directory, so I haven't kept up on whether the handful I used to submit to are still of any value.

You don't have to worry about using a noodp tag if you're not listed in the ODP, though. If you are listed, then it depends on whether the description they provide for your site is one you'd want people to see in search results, but it's more than likely it's got no calls to actions or indications of quality, so it's unlikely you'd want that to replace a well-crafted meta description. Of course, there's no guarantee that a search engine is going to use your meta description as your page's snippet, whether you use a noodp tag or not.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,708 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

The 'noodp' directive was only "required" when Google used a 'local copy' of ODP RDF as their directory.

Now that no longer exists (dropped in 2011) Google no longer  use the titles and descriptions from the ODP in their results.

Edited by chrishirst, 08 November 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

I could have sworn I've seen some sites that still had the ODP problem at some point over the past year. Although it's possible it was prior to 2011...time does fly. If you have an ODP listing, I'd use the noodp tag just in case. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!