• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Url Rewriting With Non English Characters

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 petros1979

petros1979

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

A developer has recently implemented url rewriting for our site (for seo purposes), puting in our url Greek keywords with greek characters (for example: site.gr/Εμπειρίεςενός-μελισσοκόμου_p-403252.aspx)

Every time I run SEO diagnostics or try to share links from my site I get the rather ugly site.gr/%CE%95%CE%BC%CF%80%CE%B5%CE%B9%CF%81%CE%AF%CE%B5%CF%82-%CE%B5%CE%BD%CF%8C%CF%82-%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%BB%CE%B9%CF%83%CF%83%CE%BF%CE%BA%CF%8C%CE%BC%CE%BF%CF%85_p-403252.aspx

I wanted to ask if, besides the visual appearance problem, there is a problem with Google from seo perspective. I mean does Google read the keywords in these urls?

Would you think it is better (from SEO perspective) to use greek keywords with english characters instead? (for example: site.gr/empeiries-enos-melissokomou_p-403252.aspx)

Edited by chrishirst, 07 November 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,671 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

This is a few years old, but according to Google's John Mueller, as long as your URLs are in UTF-8, Google will understand them, even if they sometimes display as encoded rather than with Greek characters. See http://productforums...ers/PHKXFJtgcRU

What I don't know is whether Google has a preference regarding the use of Greek characters or transliterating everything into Latin characters. My guess would be that it depends on how people in Greece search.

I used to work for a company that had sites all over the world, and we never quite worked this out. Some of our sites had URLs with Latin characters and diacritical marks, and a few used character sets like Cyrillic. What seemed to cause problems was mixing things up, like a page with a Cyrillic file name in a directory with a Latin file name.

And yes, it did lead to some very ugly URLs when they were pasted into emails or other documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!