• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Pr2 Website Url

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theunreal

theunreal

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hello. I have a website I invested & worked alot on his SEO. I decided that I want to change the website URL. The domain is PR 2 and it has alot of strong backlinks.

Here is my link profile:

DOMA.png

If I will change this domain to the new one with 301, what are the implications of this proccess? I really want to change my website URL & Name, because I got something better, but I'm not sure if it worth of losing my website SEO. 

Any suggestions/ideas for my situation?

Thanks in advance.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

In what way is the new domain name "better"?

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

301 is a good general start, but don't assume that a general redirect works perfectly. make sure that your old URLs do indeed take you directly to the new URL. if not then you may need to do URL by URL custom redirects.

What makes you think the new domain name is better? People search by key phrases, not domain. Is the old domain name so out of sync with the service that it warrants a change?  Changing the domain suggests that you may need to change business cards and other collateral marketing materials.

Edited by bobmeetin, 06 November 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#4 theunreal

theunreal

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

In what way is the new domain name "better"?

301 is a good general start, but don't assume that a general redirect works perfectly. make sure that your old URLs do indeed take you directly to the new URL. if not then you may need to do URL by URL custom redirects.

What makes you think the new domain name is better? People search by key phrases, not domain. Is the old domain name so out of sync with the service that it warrants a change?  Changing the domain suggests that you may need to change business cards and other collateral marketing materials.

It's easier to remember and it's a name-pharse in my country language, while the old name is a mixed pharse in english hard to say.

I have 2 options:

- Do 301 redirection and buy the new domain

- Optimize my website in a good keyword and use this keyword as my website title, to let users remember this keyword and not the website URL.

btw the website is wordpress

Edited by theunreal, 06 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Wordpress should not be a problem; you can move it to a new domain like anything else and probably not lose the URL structure. What you're going to hear most people tell you is to not move to a new domain unless absolutely necessary.

If folks like a site they may bookmark it as well just as I bookmark the pages I frequent on my sports sites, my teams - I certainly don't remember the URLs. Toplevel URLs - more likely. www.highrankings.com - I'll never forget it :)

You need to pick your battle.

#6 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

If you are just looking at a more memorable Domain Name that is easier for Typing In, why not just redirect the new Domain to the existing website.

That way, you will not affect the established SE performance at all.

• Jill likes this

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:05 AM

That's a legitimate option. It would mean that you could use the new, memorable domain name in advertising but send users to your established domain. But that means that would be the only advantage you'd derive from the new domain.

If this were a matter of branding, I could see the logic behind going the other way. If I had my site at thatguyssite.com, and I had the opportunity to buy qwertyssite.com, then moving to the new domain would make it easy to brand the site as Qwerty's Site --  much easier than just sticking logos up on That Guy's Site stating that it was Qwerty's Site, redirected or not. And certainly, having a foreign word in your domain name can put you at a disadvantage, unless the foreign word makes your site kind of exotic and aspirational. There's a big fashion site in the US with a French name, and here in America (and probably everywhere) fashion and French go hand in hand. This site is actually big enough that they run commercials on TV... in which they horribly mispronounce the French words in their name :dntknw:

I suppose if they pronounced it correctly, people would forget to type in that silent H.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

If you are just looking at a more memorable Domain Name that is easier for Typing In, why not just redirect the new Domain to the existing website.

That way, you will not affect the established SE performance at all.

Or vice-versa. Just 301 redirect the old domain to the new one. (Putting all the content of course on the new one.)

#9 heroicsupport

heroicsupport

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

I face the exact same issue.... but my old domain also had some spammy competitor SEO knock a valuable keyword out of the SERPs and I want to move from that negativity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!