• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

How To Track From Specific Page Backwards In Google Analytics?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andy1342

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

Apologies if the answer to this is RTFM, I've tried to do that without result.

On my 100-page site, all serious prospects will have a look at the Fees page. I am interested to track backwards: which pages where they looking at just before they clicked Fees? and which pages were they looking at prior to that? Also, are there any pages which people who visit fees never look at?  I'm trying to see the site as serious prospects see it.

In Analytics it seems easy to track forwards from a landing page, but you seem to have to do quite some manual hacking with a spreadsheed to track back, and then messy and incomplete. Is there an automated way to do this?

Many thanks

#2 chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,597 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:06 AM

Check the "Referr URL" though you would be better using the site access logs for that information as Google Analytics being javascript may not always capture it for a specific URL

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Actually, to track an individual user backwards through Analytics would be almost impossible on a moderate-to-high traffic site.  You can look at the flow diagram to see an aggregation of user click pathways.

To see what individual users are doing you will have to analyze your server log data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!