• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate The Entire Website And Use It Under A Different Name

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

"I also want to be able to at a later date, duplicate the entire website and use it under a different name. For example, we may want to allow our folks in Pueblo to use the entire site you build, but put their business name/logo/colors on it so it's tailored to them, and under their URL."

I already mentioned that doing this, the above, would probably lead to duplicate content issues and I suggested that if they do then they should minimally rephrase some of the content and find some new content to make each site more unique.

Whether they like to go this route or not, there is also the possibility of using a single site and creating some regional views/sections.

Feedback?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,621 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'd say the single site with regional sections is better, but even then only if they have something unique to say about each location. If they'll settle for MadLibs pages when you advise them against MadLibs sites, that's not much of an improvement.

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

I had to do a "definition: MadLibs" to figure that out, but I got it.

I occasionally come across services which have a single brick/mortar locale and try to show that they support a whole batch of cities by creating individual city files and mostly duplicating the content, substituting the city name. 

Regardless, I just heard back that the second site is already out there as well - it is a flash site, vintage 2009, fairly recent for flash.  I googled some of the text in the flash content and it is found verbatim in google's index.  I didn't realize that G had made such great strides in this technique. Updating content must be a wonderful experience.

Chances are they will retain the separate sites.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

Oops, there is a hidden question in my last comment.  Any feedback on Google's strides in indexing text embeded in Flash?

When I googled the flash embeded text I followed the google link and it took me directly to the home page, not to a text version. Looking at the page source revealed no hidden text as well.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,621 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well, according to this page, they've gotten a lot better at it.

Googlebot can index almost any text a user can see as they interact with any Flash SWF file on your site, and can use that text to generate a snippet or match query terms in Google searches. Additionally, Googlebot can also discover URLs in SWF files (for example, links to other pages on your site) and follow those links.

We'll crawl and index this content in the same way that we crawl and index other content on your site—you don't need to take any special action. However, we don't guarantee that we'll crawl or index all the content, Flash or otherwise.

There's no date on the page, so I don't know exactly how long they've been making this claim. I found another page, dated June 2008, that says that they've made improvements in indexing Flash content.

But I'd still avoid using it for anything other than decoration (said the SEO of a games company that creates products in Flash, for the most part). As I understand it, anyone using iOS to access the site will see nothing.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

They can index and do index flash, but it's the Flash file that actually gets indexed! Do you want people finding an .swf in Google and getting to your site that way?

#7 Sydroad

Sydroad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

Does a duplicate Site get a penalty from Google for "Duplicate Content"? 

My target phrase is:  [removed] - so I registered  a new domain name: [keywordphrase.com]
This is overwhelmingly the best phrase I can target for my specialized Tool Business. 

Can I simply duplicate my current 30 page website over to this new domain, and still keep the original site without penalty from Google?

My new domain is an obvious strategy to get better Google ranking.

Love to hear your response.

Edited by Jill, 02 November 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Can I simply duplicate my current 30 page website over to this new domain, and still keep the original site without penalty from Google?

No. You would duplicate it then 301 redirect the old domain to the new.

#9 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

To clarify, I believe Jill meant "No - you don't want to keep the current site."  It sounded like you wanted to know if you can maintain both sites simultaneously with duplicate content.

If content is indeed king, then unique rocks!  :hug:

• Jill likes this

#10 Sydroad

Sydroad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

OK, so use a "301 Re-Direct" to keep my Google position & credit, but remove all duplicate pages on the Original site.

Thanks for this.

I'll also keep around 4 pages on the Original site (but change the content) so customers with that domain name still have a site to see, then link all following pages to the new Domain.

thanks

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'll also keep around 4 pages on the Original site (but change the content) 

No. 301 redirect it.    

#12 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,621 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

I agree with Jill that you should just redirect everyone. If you think people might be confused when they find themselves on the new site (trust me, not many will even notice unless the pages actually look different), then I think it's OK to put a note on the new site explaining the change, which you're hopefully doing because the new domain is more memorable and provides better branding opportunities (because hopefully you already know that exact match domains are not actually helpful algorithmically).

#13 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,625 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, with a 301 redirect, people who visit the old domain will still have plenty to look at. It will simply be housed on the new domain. If it's done right, they'll be seamlessly redirected to the appropriate page on the new site (the one that best corresponds to the page on the old site), no lag, no gap, nothing to let them know they've been redirected except a change in the domain name in the browser address bar (which most people don't look at, and a lot -- like my parents -- don't even know exists... sigh).

As qwerty says, unless the new pages look radically different, most probably won't even notice. And even if the pages do look different, that will only matter to returning visitors, and most of them have probably experienced at least one site they visit being redesigned, so it won't be that much of a freak-out experience for most of them, either.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#14 Sydroad

Sydroad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hi - me again.

If I 301 re-direct the entire original site what changes must I implement in Google Webmaster tools?

i.e. the sitemap.xml 

How long should I keep the "301 Re-Direct" on the site? 1 week, 3 months, 1 year?
At some point I'm either going to no longer pay for Domain & Hosting, or use it as a resource  of some kind - different product range.

I've been reading up on the EMD issue and intend my new site as a Quality Content destination. (not low quality)

thanks

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,959 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

Hi - me again.
If I 301 re-direct the entire original site what changes must I implement in Google Webmaster tools?
i.e. the sitemap.xml

Use the "Change of address" tool.

sitemap.xml doesn't matter because the original site is about to disappear completely.

How long should I keep the "301 Re-Direct" on the site? 1 week, 3 months, 1 year?
At some point I'm either going to no longer pay for Domain & Hosting, or use it as a resource of some kind - different product range.

For EVER or as long as you want to send the traffic to the "new" URLS, because as soon as the redirect is removed BOTH hostnames are seperate entities again. Also you don't need more than one hosting account for both (or more) hostnames.
Thirdly; if you allow the name(s) to 'drop', the redirects will cease to work so any "value" and traffic that came from the original name will instantly disappear.

I've been reading up on the EMD issue and intend my new site as a Quality Content destination. (not low quality)

So why isn't it "quality content" already then???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!