I work for a large company that is spinning off one of it's groups. This is not an acquisition but an actual new company start. There is no option of keeping the original domain name because we will be starting out with a new name. We have some time to plan for this but I have some initial questions in this regard. Appreciate any insights.
1) Because we will have a global presence what is the best approach to country specific domain names from a search perspective (see options below)..also would this be recommended for every country we do business in or just the countries we have language specific content?
2) Content will be removed from the original domain & moved to new domain so the plan is to use 301 redirects from olddomain/page.html to newdomain/page.html rather than cross-domain canonicals. Is there any reason to use both initially or are the 301 redirects sufficient?
3) In a split like this is there any mechanism for the new domain to get any of the value/page rank of the original domain or will Google/others look at this as a completely new company starting from scratch. I'm trying to set reasonable expectations for day 1 traffic impacts and short to mid-term impact as new site is indexed.
4) Lots of work to do on redirecting inbound links. Any recommendation for tools that would help in that process?
5) Other big risk areas that I should be considering?