• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Someone Want To Exchange A Link With Me, What To Look For?

Best Answer Jill , 24 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

I though that Link Building was part of the whole SEO effort? 

Nope. Marketing your unique and interesting content to those in the position to possibly link to your site is part of SEO. 

Exchanging links is 1995 SEO.

And what do the ahrefs stats have to do with whether or not you feel your website visitors would want to know about the site in question?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

I was contacted by this person in New York asking if I wanted to do a link exchange, What should i look for?

I don't want this persons sites to drag our ranking down.

What do I need to look for about his sites? How many backlinks he has? 

What else should I be aware of before exchanging links with him.

If his sites have been penalized by google, if i exchange links with him, will that drag my current rank down? Is that how link exchange works?

thanks 

Edited by brdlands2, 23 October 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Link exchanges are kind of archaic at this point. Unless you're already somehow in business with this guy and you've got a page of companies your company partners with, there's rarely a legitimate reason to do a one-to-one reciprocal exchange of links. If the reason is just that Google likes links, more links are good, so if we trade links we'll both have more links and that will be good... that's not a reason.

If you're still considering it, consider this: your primary (arguably your only) reason for linking to any site, whether they're linking to you or not, should be that you think the site is worthy of a recommendation from you to the people who read your site. This isn't some simple trade. It's you taking whatever reputation you've built up with your readers and using it -- putting it on the line -- to help someone else's reputation. Is the site really good? Is the information on the site really useful, specifically to the people who will find the link on your site? If not, it really doesn't matter how Google is going to view this. You shouldn't recommend something if you don't think it's worthy of your recommendation.

#3 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Link exchanges are kind of archaic at this point. Unless you're already somehow in business with this guy and you've got a page of companies your company partners with, there's rarely a legitimate reason to do a one-to-one reciprocal exchange of links. If the reason is just that Google likes links, more links are good, so if we trade links we'll both have more links and that will be good... that's not a reason.

If you're still considering it, consider this: your primary (arguably your only) reason for linking to any site, whether they're linking to you or not, should be that you think the site is worthy of a recommendation from you to the people who read your site. This isn't some simple trade. It's you taking whatever reputation you've built up with your readers and using it -- putting it on the line -- to help someone else's reputation. Is the site really good? Is the information on the site really useful, specifically to the people who will find the link on your site? If not, it really doesn't matter how Google is going to view this. You shouldn't recommend something if you don't think it's worthy of your recommendation.

Wow, ok, so all i need to do is look at the sites and review them for the "content", rather than be concerned about backlinks and his sites being penalized by google some how and how that might affect me. Sounds pretty easy to me...thanks!

Are you sure that there's no way that one on one link exchange could hurt my sites ranking in any shape or form?

Can someone else tell me that linking to this persons sites won't hurt my current ranking? That question was no addressed... :cold:

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

I didn't say that it couldn't hurt your rankings. I said that asking if it could hurt your rankings wasn't really the question you should be asking. You should be asking if there's a good reason to link to the site.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Is the site something you want to share with your visitors or not?

Personally, I consider all link exchange requests to be spam.

#6 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

I didn't say that it couldn't hurt your rankings. I said that asking if it could hurt your rankings wasn't really the question you should be asking. You should be asking if there's a good reason to link to the site.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I looked at both of the sites, and honestly they look great!
The sites have thousands of back links. I am really thinking about doing it!
:scooter:

But Jill,

I am running both sites thru Screaming Frog SEO spider right now.  :vaccuum:

I ran the first site thru https://ahrefs.com. Here are the stats.

URL
Domain Rank: 52
Backlinks: 4.4 KReferring 
Domains: 633

Are these pretty good stats? 

Here are the stats of the second site they sent us that they want to do a link exchange with.

URL 
Domain Rank: 54
Backlinks: 8.5 K Referring 
Domains: 295

Actually, both sites look very nice! I was really impressed when I saw them both.

Edited by Jill, 24 October 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:36 PM   Best Answer

Nope. Marketing your unique and interesting content to those in the position to possibly link to your site is part of SEO. 

And what do the ahrefs stats have to do with whether or not you feel your website visitors would want to know about the site in question?

• brdlands2 likes this

#8 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Ok, very good. Since both of these sites have great content, i think it would behoove us to go ahead and do the one to one link exchange.

He is also offering a guest blogging to me as well...

I guess this is a good idea? 

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,937 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

If you have been invited by someone who runs a 'respected' blog in your particular marketplace why would it not be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!