• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Content On Other Sites

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

Good Morning

I have an article on our site that was also put on to ezine articles(identical) after ours was indexed first.

The ezine version had a raw url anchor going back to our homepage.

Question is should I delete the article altogether or link back to the original article.

In the good old days of article marketing we did quite a bit of this.

Trying to get rid of a proable panda penalty so all help would be greatlt appreciated.

Or of course as the sites don't carry much weight now should we delete all of our articles and even the entire accounts.

Many Thanks Dan

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

You don't need to do anything. Google is likely already discounting the article directory version and link, which is probably also why you've lost some Google organic traffic. 

What you  need to do moving forward is not so much to worry about those bad links (presuming you didn't receive an unnatural links warning) but plan a new content marketing strategy.

#3 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks Jill

No unatural links but I do think Panda got me in Oct/Nov 2012

Also doing the content thing with social sharing of the same, its the only safe way now!

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,433 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Also doing the content thing with social sharing of the same, its the only safe way now!

By this "doing the content thing" do you mean posting the content or simply advertising it's presence?

#5 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

I meant adding regular content to our blog and sharing on our social media profiles.

You don't need to do anything. Google is likely already discounting the article directory version and link, which is probably also why you've lost some Google organic traffic. 

What you  need to do moving forward is not so much to worry about those bad links (presuming you didn't receive an unnatural links warning) but plan a new content marketing strategy.

Ok another one for you!

Have about 20 pages each with a youtube video embedded (and no text apart from the page title) and links back to different pages of the site.

I guess this is Thin content regarding panda?

As they are still useful for visitors I don't want to remove them but will add the noindex tag and remove the same urls from the xml sitemap.

Good Idea?

Cheers

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

Better would be to add written summaries of the videos. That would make them more valuable to your users and therefore also to google. 

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,433 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

I meant adding regular content to our blog and sharing on our social media profiles.

Let's try and get this a bit clearer.  When YOU are "sharing content" it really means you are allowing others to use your content.

If you are placing links to that particular URL, you are, by the very definition of the word(s) advertising or promoting it.

If others then pass it along to their "friends" they are sharing something they found interesting or useful, you are simply promoting your own material.

This world of "on-line marketing" is really simple when you stop trying to convince yourself that you are being 'helpful' in telling your imaginary "friends" on 'social media' sites  about your latest 'blog post'. You ARE absolutely, one hundred percent being self-serving about your 'sharing' intentions, only when you are linking to URLs OTHER than yours is when your "sharing" becomes genuine and altruistic.

Knowing and understanding WHY you are placing links where your "friends" might click on them makes it FAR simpler to decide whether your efforts are truly effective or if you are simply going through the motions because  "that's what everybody is doing so I have to as well"..

#8 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

Better would be to add written summaries of the videos. That would make them more valuable to your users and therefore also to google. 

Thanks Jill

In your opinion what would a good summary word count be.

For our blog posts we go for 600 words minimum but obviously a summary would be shorter!

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

In your opinion what would a good summary word count be.

As many words as necessary to accurately describe what's in the video.

Even better would be a complete transcript.

#10 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,548 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Slightly off topic, but you should also load a transcript as a caption file on the video itself. That way people can turn on the closed captioning if for some reason they can't (or don't want to) use the sound.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#11 dannyboy

dannyboy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Slightly off topic, but you should also load a transcript as a caption file on the video itself. That way people can turn on the closed captioning if for some reason they can't (or don't want to) use the sound.

--Torka :oldfogey:

Good Idea Youtube has some really good features these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!