• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Force Google To Ignore Splash Page & Set Www.address.com/home As T

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 telkins

telkins

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hello. I have an odd question. My client made me create a splash page that serves as a portal to their 2 websites. When you visit the site, it gives you the choice to view site A or site B. My issue is now that this is live, Google sees this splash page as the home page and it has ruined my SEO.

Is there a way to bypass www.address.com and set www.address.com/home as the home page for Google SEO purposes? I have recently set the robots.txt file to ignore the splash page, but I'm not sure this will do what I want it to.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,708 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have recently set the robots.txt file to ignore the splash page, but I'm not sure this will do what I want it to.

So you have basically set the site to be NOT crawled at all then.

Google sees this splash page as the home page and it has ruined my SEO.

No you simply have the ancient idea that the site rool aka the "home"  is the only one that should be linked to.

Market the SITES,  with the emphasis on BOTH of them, properly and it will not matter in the slightest.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Exactly. If changing the home page to this splash page (however lame it might be) has "ruined" your SEO, then you haven't been doing SEO right.

Good, modern SEO is all about optimizing and promoting the interior pages of the site as much as the home page. When you optimize and promote the entire site's worth of pages, it really doesn't matter so much what happens to any one page. You'll still get traffic coming directly to the internal pages of the site, bypassing the lame "splash screen" entirely. The goal should be to get your visitors as quickly as possible to the specific interior page that answers their query -- preferably, going directly from the search results -- not making them follow some set linear path starting with the home page.

Perhaps you could also make some lemonade out of the lemon they've handed you, by getting them to let you add some marketing-oriented verbiage to the home page, explaining what the two sites are and providing some information to help the casual visitor decide which link is the appropriate one to click. That way, it's at least something more worthwhile than just a couple of links for those who do land on that page.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!