• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Subdomain Linking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

I am looking at a WordPress site that has been setup with the homepage on the primary domain:  www.primarydomain.com

The rest of the pages, including all the content pages, all link to a subdomain:  www.abcd.fullcompanyname.com

The subdomain site is getting about 35,000 page views per month, but I'm told the homepage of the primarydomain only got 46 visits last month, but the source of this info is not reliable.

Does having all the links go to a subdomain hurt the overall SEO effectiveness of the main domain?

I haven't seen anyone do this before, so wasn't sure what, if any, the search consequence would be.

Any insights?

THanks,

Pam

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

Does having all the links go to a subdomain hurt the overall SEO effectiveness of the main domain?

If all the pages are on the sub domain then why do you care about the effect on the main domain?

#3 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

I was thinking in terms of branding the site. the website goes by ( and advertises as) www.primarydomain.com

we want www.primarydomain.com to be the domain that gets indexed. We are starting a blog and getting ready to launch social media campaignsm which will be promoting www.primarydomain.com.  Just wondering if there are any downsides to having to this approach.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,107 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

but I'm told the homepage of the primarydomain only got 46 visits last month, but the source of this info is not reliable.

So why are you even slightly concerned about it?

Unless it can be verified as factual ... such data / information is to be ignored.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

If all the other pages of the site are on "abc.fullcompanyname.com" and the home page alone is on "primarydomain.com", then the home page is the only thing that can possibly be indexed under the domain "primaryname.com." (And, technically, whole domains don't get indexed; individual URLs do.) Everything else on the site will be indexed at it's own URL (i.e. on the subdomain). If you want all the pages of the site to show up under primaryname.com, you'll need to move them to that domain.

I guess I'm confused as to what the potential issue is supposed to be. The home page will get indexed at it's URL, the interior pages will get indexed at their respective URLs. Is there some issue with the home page leading you to believe there would be a problem getting it indexed?

(Noting, of course, there's a difference between a page being indexed and a page ranking well. If what you actually want to know is if the home page can get good rankings when it's on a different domain from the entire rest of the site, that's an entirely different question. The answer to which is: yes, of course -- assuming you have no technical issues, a decent inbound link profile, logical internal navigation, useful and engaging content and all the other elements that go into a well-optimized site, and you're not in an outrageously competitive environment.)

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#6 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanks Torka. You hit the nail on the head

(Noting, of course, there's a difference between a page being indexed and a page ranking well. If what you actually want to know is if the home page can get good rankings when it's on a different domain from the entire rest of the site, that's an entirely different question. The answer to which is: yes, of course -- assuming you have no technical issues, a decent inbound link profile, logical internal navigation, useful and engaging content and all the other elements that go into a well-optimized site, and you're not in an outrageously competitive environment.)

I am interested in the ranking of homepage as well as internal pages.  The industry is very competitive and we want to have more brand awareness for the primary website name since their major print publication uses this same name.  The actual parent company name is never used anywhere in marketing, either print or digital.

We are taking care of some technical issues and better internal linking, but was wondering if moving all site pages to www.primarydomain.com is helpful or necessary.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

IMO, potentially helpful from a branding/trust perspective. For instance, if you give somebody the URL of an interior page, it could be helpful if the URL of that page includes the domain name you're promoting publicly. It would at least save you from having to explain to the customer/prospect that the page you're sending them to is part of your website, just under the (unpublicized) parent company domain. (And it might improve your trust factor with those few customers who look at the URL in the address bar.)

Which could turn out to be a real benefit in terms of actually making sales. Anything that improves trust and reduces friction is at least worth considering.

As far as the search engines are concerned, however, I'm not convinced that moving would help (or hurt, for that matter). My own company has had a website made up of three different domains (two primary domains and a subdomain, both primary domains being variations on our official company name) for about 10 years now. At one point we had as many as five domains all rolled up into one site. (Good business reasons for it at the time, but an administrative nightmare. The three we have now is actually quite workable.) In my experience, as long as you have logical internal navigation and treat the pages as though they're all part of a single site (regardless of the domain where they really live), it shouldn't make a noticeable difference. YMMV, of course.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#8 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Torka, I was coming to this same conclusion.

From a branding and name recognition point of view, it might make good business sense.

But from a strictly search engine ranking POV, not so much.

There are thousands of article pages which would need to be transferred, so we would need a great plan to redirect all of these pages or leave as is.

As always, thanks to this forum for your experience and insight.

A grateful lurker,

Pam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!