• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Does This Sitelink Persist?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

When my business name is googled, the #1 sitelink under the main link is to a page I don't want - it's a minor page 3 levels down in nav, and it distorts the perception of what's important by even listing it. I have demoted it explicitly in GWT, and removed it from my sitemap.xml. I wondered if maybe it was getting juice from external links, but no - there appear to be none. Any ideas on what's up?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

I've never managed to get a sitelink removed by demoting it in Webmaster Tools. I've tried three or four times, and don't bother trying anymore since it's had a success rate of 0. I've had the same level of success with using WMT to tell Google to ignore URLs containing a particular parameter, by the way. These handy tools just don't seem to accomplish anything for me.

The only time I've succeeded in getting rid of sitelinks was when Google was showing a page on a co-branded partner subdomain that, apart from its logo, was identical to a page on the root of the domain. Putting a rel-canonical tag on the page pointing to the correct page -- which was something we needed to do whether the page showed up as a sitelink or not -- did the trick.

#3 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

So now I have this picture in my head of certain Google tools being like the toy steering wheel a parent gives to a kid to occupy them while said parent is driving. A toy control hooked up to nothing. :| This is my second recent inquiry about sitelinks where the response was basically "Not much you can do". The last one had an odd glitch where the old title for a page prior to the 301 redirect still persisted.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,848 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sitelinks 'happen' when another URL on your site has sufficient decent quality links pointing to it so YOU not consider it important, but OTHER people HAVE.

So say "Thanks very much Google" and make SOME USE of it being there instead of complaining!!!

Edited by chrishirst, 18 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#5 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

Chris - There don't appear to be any links from outside sources, and outside of the nav (where it's a 3rd level down link), there aren't many internal links to it. The thing is, it's just a page for a software tool that is something I refer people to so we can collaborate. It's not an important part of my business. I just have it on the nav at all so that I can find it. Maybe I need to strike it from the nav.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,848 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

There don't appear to be any links from outside sources,

Google appears to know different, what links Google show you and the ones they actually count are two very different things.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Have you tried using any different tools to check the page's backlinks? I like Majestic, but I know some folks who prefer Ahrefs. Either one will give you a decent amount of information with a free account.

#8 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

So say "Thanks very much Google" and make SOME USE of it being there instead of complaining!!!

That really sounds like pretty good advice.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

It's not an important part of my business. I just have it on the nav at all so that I can find it. Maybe I need to strike it from the nav.

Bingo. I bet that does the trick (eventually).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!