• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Moving From Custom Cms To Wordpress - How To Keep Positive Optimizatio

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 theunreal

theunreal

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hello!

I had a webstie that used custom CMS. I want to move it to Wordpress, re-writing all content.

The problem is that it gonna delete all the already-indexed pages by google.. and probably will be a problem.

What would be the best way to change my site into wordpress without a punishment from google or negative results?

Hope to get an answer, it's very important for me. The domain is PR 2.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Does this moving to a wordpress site article help?

#3 theunreal

theunreal

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Does this moving to a wordpress site article help?

Not really, This article is not mentioning any technical or answers to my problem, it's just overiew of all the problems I will have.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,019 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

Not really, This article is not mentioning any technical or answers to my problem, it's just overiew of all the problems I will have.

Yeah, but this IS a forum about SEM and SEO NOT a technical advice forum for Wordpress.

Some of us have moved several sites from other Content Management Systems or a file based site to WordPress so do have the experience, but without knowing your exact problems or concerns  it's somewhat difficult to rell anyone what to expect or avoid.

Ask a specific question and we might be able to help.

Edited by chrishirst, 17 October 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#5 theunreal

theunreal

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, but this IS a forum about SEM and SEO NOT a technical advice forum for Wordpress.

Some of us have moved several sites from other Content Management Systems or a file based site to WordPress so do have the experience, but without knowing your exact problems or concerns  it's somewhat difficult to rell anyone what to expect or avoid.

Ask a specific question and we might be able to help.

My question is what I should do in order to make google read my new website engine & deleted urls withouot any negatiev impact on my website?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

The link I posted addresses those issues.

#7 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Visit some wordpress forums and get recommendations from Wordpress experts. Get on some LinkedIn Wordpress groups. Google groups has a webmaster forum where you might get some 'general' help. Do some general research on how to set up redirects in your .htaccess file.

In a nutshell, you want to ensure that your old URLs are redirected to the new ones. But, as Chris said, ask a specific question to get specific advice.

#8 theunreal

theunreal

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Visit some wordpress forums and get recommendations from Wordpress experts. Get on some LinkedIn Wordpress groups. Google groups has a webmaster forum where you might get some 'general' help. Do some general research on how to set up redirects in your .htaccess file.

In a nutshell, you want to ensure that your old URLs are redirected to the new ones. But, as Chris said, ask a specific question to get specific advice.

I've been workign on it lately and I can give more specific information. Here are they:

1. I am going to write posts smiliar to my old website posts.

2. They will be different URL. I will use 301 redirection to redirect the old once to the new URL.

3. Stucked! Don't know how to do step 2. I have downloaded wordpress 301 redirects plugin, but it does't working - No redircetions. Any other way to do it? Yes, I am doing it manually each post! Got about 100 to do.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,019 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Don't know how to do step 2.

Edit the 'slug' for the post or page.

#10 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,635 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

You might want to ask on the support forum for the redirection plugin. Sounds as though either you haven't set up the redirects correctly or there's an issue with the plugin. There are a number of redirection plugins available for Wordpress. If the one you have isn't working and you can't get support or figure out what's going wrong, try another one.

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!