• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Recovering From Google Penguin And Panda ( Duplicate Content?)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Octaviopat

Octaviopat

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hi there,

I started a new site. I did all the basic SEO to it. The site's traffic started growing fast, and it was already generating about $3.00 a day in google Adwords.

However,   I started building links, and within two weeks, the site's traffic went dead.

My website was penalized by Google Penguin and Panda.  I must've done something wrong. 

Because of this, I decided to change the site domain name for a new one to recover my traffic, but I left old the old content.

My question is…

Will google see my old content as duplicate content? I paid a writer to help me write that content; therefore, I do not want to throw it away.  Will google punish this new domain for duplicate content because I am using my old site content?

#2 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

My website was penalized by Google Penguin and Panda.

How do you know? Did you verify this?

If you are using content that is duplicated on another site it is considered duplicate content.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,722 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

My website was penalized by Google Penguin and Panda.  I must've done something wrong.

No! It's because ALL newly discovered URLs ALWAYS get shown to searchers in the first couple of weeks of them been added to Google's index, so you have had your '15 minutes of fame' NOW your URLs have to EARN their place in the search results.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

No! It's because ALL newly discovered URLs ALWAYS get shown to searchers in the first couple of weeks of them been added to Google's index

Meaning that if I were an unethical, blackhat SEO that I could keep rotating new sites through my portfolio of accomplishments. And they say, "My Mother didn't raise no dummies!"

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,722 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Meaning that if I were an unethical, blackhat SEO that I could keep rotating new sites through my portfolio of accomplishments.

Yep, It's a "technique" called "Crash and burn domains" and it's been around since the dawn of Search. The drawback of course is that you ALSO need a collection of healthy, trusted, legitimate, well linked websites to provide links to the "burners" so they do get indexed as soon as they are released into the wild. AND avoid getting your healthy network dumped because the URLs have become associated with "crash and burners"

Edited by chrishirst, 16 October 2013 - 04:50 AM.

#6 Brainchild

Brainchild

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

how did you build links? i have websites that have links coming from article directories, as i used to do this before, that have lost rankings after panda update. a friend told me it was because of those links from article directories. 

#7 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Could be.  You could disavow the links.  (Search for Google disavow and you'll find directions on how to do it.)

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,722 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

that have lost rankings after panda update. a friend told me it was because of those links from article directories.

Quite probably it is, but it is not your URLs that have been 'penalised', it's more likely that the 'article directories' have been 'devalued' or  blocked from passing any value at all, so if they did 'help' before, they no longer are.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,581 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

Exactly. If you think about it, penalizing sites for having links from an article directory would require Google to trace every link and apply a penalty to every page that was a link target (which could be millions of pages, depending on the size of the article directory). Plus, they'd have to keep doing it over and over to make sure they took into account each new link that was added.

Or they could simply flag the article directory itself as an untrustworthy resource and prevent it from passing any "link juice" at all. This would simply be a quick, one-time thing -- less resource-intensive, less work all around, and it accomplishes the same thing. Pages no longer benefit from having a link from this lower-quality site, pages that relied almost entirely on such low-value links drop in the rankings, and the Googlers are happy.

Just because your pages drop in the rankings, this doesn't mean it was your pages that were penalized. It could just as easily be that a primary source of links pointing to your pages was penalized or prevented from passing along any value from those links.

In any case, the fix is the same -- stop relying on low-quality sources of links. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 17 October 2013 - 08:41 AM.
typo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!