• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Website Suspended - Can It Recover With Change Of Ownership?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Following on from a previous post (http://www.highranki...4,34)">)</span> I have further information. I am purchasing a website (in the medical industry) which has been suspended by Nominet. It is a well-established site that has been running since the late-nineties with a well known brand name. The UK medical regulatory body instigated the suspension under 'operation pangea'. This operation relates to fake medications so I assume the site I am purchasing linked to a dodgy website (probably affiliate marketing) for pharmaceutical medications.

Nominet have told me that although they won't lift the suspension straight away, it is likely to run its course in the next 18 months and I am happy to wait this long so that is not a problem.

The site itself did get affected by the Panda or Penguin updates last year because I noticed a significant drop in ranking and listings before it got suspended.

So... based on all of the above, would anybody have any idea 1. how long it might take to get the site ranking well again (exposed well in Google) after the suspension is lifted. Will this nominet suspension affect the site's future Google reputation? I will be totally redeveloping the site - it will look like new by the time I have finished with it. And no dodgy SEO will go on, only high quality maintenance / good, unique content, useful information etc. and 2. what steps I could take to ensure Google know this has changed hands and is being run by a new and trustworthy owner.

Thanks, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

Why don't you just move it to another host?

#3 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

I would think it would take longer to get this domain re-established in Google than to start again with a brand new domain, especially if you started now with a new domain versus some unknown time in the future with your existing domain.

Google is a domain registrar and therefore has access to all the history of the domain, including suspension owing to dubious practices in the pharma industry. If a client came to me with this proposition, I would strongly advise going with a new domain name. I wouldn't choose to work with a domain tainted with this kind of history:

http://www.domainmon...uspend-domains/

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,848 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

... a domain registrar and therefore has access to all the history of the domain,

Actually they don't, being a registrar doesn't give 'special' access to domain history, Only the domain registry operators have access to any of that, and hostnames don't come with a 'logbook' of previous owners even when the name is on your IPS tag.

All a registrar sees is the current registrant details, original creation date, tag transfer date (at Nominet only and if different from created), expiry date and the status. and if the hostname is not on your tag and the owner has elected for domain privacy, you cannot see the actual registrant at all.

#5 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

The site has a forum with almost 30,000 users which is one of the reasons we want to take this site on. Again though, the forum has gone quite stagnant but I believe it is something that could be built back with less work than a new forum, especially considering the fact there are tens of thousands of posts and of course with a new forum we would have to start from 0 which never looks good for a potential user.

#6 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Chrishirst would you agree with Alan that I would be better off starting a new site?

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,848 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

I would say yes it would, not for any SEO concerns but for the ' poo.gif sticks ' factor. it will take a lot more than the hostname coming out of suspension to convince the general public and any forum members that remain that the site is now a legitimate operation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!