• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Delete Sitewide Links For Better Rankings?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasBra

ThomasBra

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Hi all,

I am running a network of 15 niche sites, and haven't done anything edgy in terms of spam linking in comment fields etc. but the sites are linked together with sitewide links, all together this is several thousand links that uses the same anchor text. 

My main focus regarding content have always been on quality and I believe that because of that, I have always seen a steady gain in visitors. Well, that was until May 22nd 2013 when the Penguin was realised, and I discovered a 20-30 % decrease in visitors. The same happened on Oct 4th 2013 when I saw a further drop in visitors and ranks. 

I know that the drop probably happened because of several factors, but regarding the sitewide links, what do you suggest that I should change? I believe these links are good for the user functionality, so I don't want to remove them completely. I see several possible solutions:

- Make the links no-follow
- Send the user to a script which redirects the user to the right link
- Implement the links with JS/jQuery after page-load

Do you have any suggestions for what I should do?

Thank you all for reading and commenting! :)

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,437 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am running a network of 15 niche sites, and haven't done anything edgy in terms of spam linking in comment fields etc. but the sites are linked together with sitewide links, all together this is several thousand links that uses the same anchor text.

So you have a link farm all of your very own and are wondering if it is causing 'problems' ...

The short answer is ... Yes it is

Your "solutions"???

Forget them, it won't make ANY difference, Fifteen years "you might have gotten away with it", but "them pesky kids" have got a whole lot smarter these days.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,137 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

I believe these links are good for the user functionality, so I don't want to remove them completely. 

Then it's highly doubtful that that's your problem. Check to see if you're doing any of these bad SEO practices

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,662 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

I think it depends a lot on what these niches are and how closely related they are to each other. If one site sells auto parts and another lists child psychologists by city, then there's no reason to link them together at all, much less to stick links on every page.

If they have similar audiences, then it's probably fine to link the sites together, but even then run-of-site links might not be the best way to accomplish that. You might be better off with one page on each site that talks about the relationships between the sites and links to them from there only. But if that makes sense, it kind of begs the question of why they're separate sites in the first place.

So what makes these links good for the user, as you suggest? Sure, it makes it easy for them to get from one site to another, but should they be expected to want to get from one site to another?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!